Royal Naval Reviews 1911 - 2005

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
THis is the title of a documentary that has just appeared on the UK TV Bittorrent site, thebox.bz.

thebox.bz said:
Royal Naval Reviews 1911-2005

The spectacle of a review of the Fleet before a reigning monarch is a great British tradition that stretches back for more than half a millennium. Fleet Reviews were originally intended as shows of strength during times of war but in later years most became purely ceremonial affairs, staged to celebrate royal occasions.

Comprised almost entirely of historic cinema newsreels and television reports that have never been released before, this film is a totally unique collection of reports of these truly spectacular naval displays. As well as containing precious film records of dozens and dozens of British warships, the films include ceremonial salutes, gun salutes and salvos, aerial film, flypasts, illuminated night sequences and much more.

The first video starts with the earliest known footage of a naval review, filmed in 1911 at Spithead before showcasing the mighty dreadnoughts that dominated the 1914 and 1919 Reviews. The 1924, 1935, 1937 and 1939 Reviews chronicle a navy changing from ceremonial spectacle to serious preparations for war.

Post war, it features the 1947 Review of the Home Fleet on the Clyde and the 1953 300 ship strong Coronation Fleet Review before visiting Yeovilton to look at the 1964 Fleet Air Arm Review both moving on to include coverage of the 1969 21st Anniversary NATO Review, 1977 Silver Jubilee Review and finally, the 2005 Golden Jubilee Review.

The second video is the 1954 Spithead Review as shown in cinemas.
To download you'll need to be a member of the site - I have a number of invites available if open membership is not currently being offered. Please PM me with your eamil address so I can arrange for the invite to be sent

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
whitemouse said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/News-Royal-Naval-Reviews-DVD/dp/B00261FM6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291885295&sr=1-1

Not this one by any chance ?

:)
Look spookily like it... perhaps I should delete my link inviting people to download copyright material :(

FlagWagger said:
whitemouse said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/News-Royal-Naval-Reviews-DVD/dp/B00261FM6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291885295&sr=1-1

Not this one by any chance ?

Look spookily like it... perhaps I should delete my link inviting people to download copyright material :(
Nah ! If it can be downlaoded for free .... go for it ! :thumbright:

I paid a little more than amazon price for it, when i bought it a while ago, I had thoughts that maybe the ship I was on at the time would be on show - no such luck though..... :(
Interesting footage though.