Royal naval personnel on HMC ships?

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Constantine, Sep 23, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

I stumbled the other day across references to the Border Agency's fleet: HMC Vigilant, Protector and so on. I was curious about who actually crews these ships? Common sense would say it's the R.N. or the RFA, but I was unable to find any information on this. The RFA, for instance, does not list them as part of their fleet online, and the R.N. seem completely separate.

I'm interested as to where the crews for these ships are drafted from.
    If anyone has the answer I'd be extremely interested!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  2. Ah thanks dapperdunn, interesting that there's a uniformed sea-going branch of the state entirely outside the remit of the Naval Service. Has anyone had any experience working with Border Agency seagoing crews?
  3. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Customs has operated its own vessels for quite some time. The present HMC Vigilant had 12 or 13 predecessors, I think.

The passage below is from, which I have skimmed through.

" In the last decade of the 19th century the Customs had built 15 new steam driven vessels. This caused considerable problems as no “technical establishment” had been formed. An expert was urgently required. This is where Mr Travis came in. He was seconded from the War Office."
  5. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

There are quite a few bits of HMG doing maritime stuff which are nothong to do with the RN! SFPA, HMRC, the target and range safety types etc.