Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Royal Naval Divisions

BeerBad said:
FlagWagger said:
you've got an RN ID card, you're wearing RN uniform

I f*cking wished that were the case. I have a Royal Navy Reserve ID card, I have to wear an extra "R" on my uniform, no branch badge and no star even though I qualified as AB1. :roll:

As an AB1 where the hell is the extra "R"? :)

I too have an RNR ID card, however I understand that in future we'll be identified only by the suffix RNR after our rate/rank.

FlagWagger said:
BeerBad said:
FlagWagger said:
you've got an RN ID card, you're wearing RN uniform

I f*cking wished that were the case. I have a Royal Navy Reserve ID card, I have to wear an extra "R" on my uniform, no branch badge and no star even though I qualified as AB1. :roll:

As an AB1 where the hell is the extra "R"? :)

I too have an RNR ID card, however I understand that in future we'll be identified only by the suffix RNR after our rate/rank.

My epaulettes read RNR and my No1s have the Royal Navy Reserve flash on left shoulder. And I am not holding my breath about the whole removal of the "R". We will probably still be waiting for a decision by the next RNR centinary when we can parade on Horse Guards again, bit hard for me to make the Royal Guard I suppose :p .

BeerBad said:
We will probably still be waiting for a decision by the next RNR centinary when we can parade on Horse Guards again, bit hard for me to make the Royal Guard I suppose :p .

Lets face it, with recruitment the way it is, we'll all probably be there on extension.... I can just see it now, they'll only play slow marches in deference to our age and the royal salute will be a wonder to behold:

Guard! Royal Salute, preseeeeeennnnnnt ....... zimmer frames :)

I know I am going to get into trouble for this but you lot should have tried that place that cannot be named, that run to fall in places on the marker was some thing!!!

dt018a9667 said:
I know I am going to get into trouble for this but you lot should have tried that place that cannot be named, that run to fall in places on the marker was some thing!!!

Do you mean that place in Suffolk on the River Stour? You know the Royal Hospital School at Holbrook, just upriver from some Naval establishment or other :)

We at RHS also used to have Divisions and the markers also ran onto their spots on the parade ground before the 22 squads were marched on.

FlagWagger said:
dt018a9667 said:

Do you mean that place in Suffolk on the River Stour? You know the Royal Hospital School at Holbrook, just upriver from some Naval establishment or other :)

We at RHS also used to have Divisions and the markers also ran onto their spots on the parade ground before the 22 squads were marched on.

FW

At the G-Spot it was done in reverse. The markers were in position when nigh on 2000 TROGS all gathered around the parade ground just charged to their appointed spot. I think the GI's did that way for a laugh.

Nutty

andym said:
I must confess i rather liked Divisions.Nothing like seeing a load of well turned out bodies of men all marching to a Band all in time.Not all armed forces can do drill to the standard or ours.A bit of ceremonial is good for the soul!

Whoa there Andy, who's Diversions have you been watching, can't have been the Medical Formation Hopscotch team at Haslar, when I was there early 90's. Come on someone pick a step and stick with it.

I can remember being in platoon on divisions at Whaley as part of Leadership Course, after passing the dais, GI's runner comes up and tells Lad in charge of platoon to goaround, he panics, (we had not practiced that), forgets to give order so we follow previous platoon off, shit hits fan big time, on subsequent divisions we were lapping more than the average Le Mans 24hr we used to get dizzy.

Similar things happen when the S & S have to put a platoon out to the occasional parade, Chief Cook would have us out practicing, but, as soon as someone said into line left turn, we're waltzing into the steamin bat shuffle.

I can also remember when HMS Victory (Barracks) was renamed
to Nelson there was a rehearsal at about 13:00 on a friday afternoon, Joe the Killick Chef and I finished at 09:00 got into our Nos 1's and went to Ruby's for opening time 10:00 after a few scoops went back at 12, paraded at 13:00 fell over at 13:15, sick Bay at 13:30, deep shit Monday at 08:00 in front of FCPO Cook, luckily Doc at Sick Bay blamed it on lack of food, ie drinking on empty stomach, (luckily I was working in Wardroom at time and his lunchtime Gin intake was prodigious, and he knew me :wink: )

I must admit I have been to some good ones where there has been an element of enforced practice and a decent band.

Reminds moi of diversions in Pembroke.

The S&S were always the last off, just before the Jennies march past.

Even before we left the parade, the Bootie Band changed to 140 (I think) paces and we always ended up in about thirty different steps.

Didn't help much that the band just loved to play 'Thunderbirds' theme....

:)

Does it seem like a whole other lifetime ago that us Jennies had our own separate division! That was when we were ladies!

Indeed they had a skirts division at RNR100 on Horse Guards!

Awww DIIIVVVIIISSSONNNNNNNNSSSSSSS!!

Sometimes a nightmare, esp when you have to be fallen in at 07:35 for them! I hated it a good few times when the CPO drill instrut. made me do all the shouting!

Kind of miss it sometimes, dome of them were a craic :lol:

Divs at 0735 ? At least they were a decent time in the pm when I was in Pembroke.

The crock was having to wait while some lecherous Adml chatted the jennies up before the march past - something like two mins per male platoon then 10mins on each jennie in the remaining platoons (something to do with shiny shoes I think :wink: ) - definitely NOT a good thing if you'd had your tot and a bevy or two (very difficult marching with crossed legs and swollen wotsits I can tell you 8O ) hence the different steps to get off the parade.
:lol:

Father_Famine said:
Similar things happen when the S & S have to put a platoon out to the occasional parade, Chief Cook would have us out practicing, but, as soon as someone said into line left turn, we're waltzing into the steamin bat shuffle.

Just try being platoon commander of "Ship's Company No 1 Platoon" at a certain large training establishment in Gosport, early '90s. No Stokers going through so 98% of parade are Tiffs - the other 2 % comprising 1, 2 and on special occassions 3 Ships Company Platoons. I always seemed to get No 1. The comprised a mixture of:

SAs (mostly 6"4' plus)
Cooks (many of rather portly dimensions)
Writers (males and female)
DSAs (all about 4" nothing)
Medics
Wren ETSs (all remarkable attractive)
etc etc

Wrens in skirts, blokes of course in trousers, coupled with the difference in heights, meant despite very careful briefs to the right hand marker to step short as the Wrens couldn't keep up I'd always find the ends of the platoon curving arpound me on the march past. "Around again PT!" - every single time. We always managed OK on the day (even the time the band changed time right in the middle of our eyes right).

I actually didn't mind them.

After Dartmouth I think I only did divisions a couple of times onces at Whaley and once to get my S/M badge. Whilst doing my Nuclear Course at Greenwich though the quadrangle below my cabin window was used to try to teach the young Wren Os drill and it was always great fun watching the RM DI from Deal trying to be on his best behaviour and teach drill at the same time.

Peter

My most memorable divisions were on the Rhyl/Brighton (can’t remember witch one) it was more like a glorified Procedure Alpha, trying to keep a straight face while the skipper was inspecting us with one foot on top of a fire hydrant or some such thing that clutters the upper deck and also being on the slope going forward on the forecastle. The best was to come though, got back down 3e mess after one kilick chef took of his cap saying thank fu@ck that’s over, yes you’ve got it chin strap held on to his head by two bits of maskers, nearly made us drop our tinnies with laughter.

Latest Threads