Royal Naval Divisions

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by slim, Sep 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thinking back at my time in the RN and one thing that comes to mind is Divisions. What a waste of time.
    What went through your mind while waiting for your divisions turn to march past and bog off on weekend?

One of my thoughts was trying to work out how much this stupid parade had cost the tax payer in wasted man hours

2. Tradition is something we in the UK take for granted and criticise a lot, but it is the envy of just about every other country in the world. The Monarchy is a prime example - the media and leftie types are very good at knocking it, but loads of countries are pretty jealous of us.

Yes, divisions are time-consuming and not a lot of fun, but the problem with the RN at the mo is that we are getting rid of many of our traditions and turning into a faceless organisation. Partly due to out-sourcing many activities to MOD-sponsored civilians.

I'd be slow to knock something we have always done - they're the things that make the RN that little bit special.

3. I must confess i rather liked Divisions.Nothing like seeing a load of well turned out bodies of men all marching to a Band all in time.Not all armed forces can do drill to the standard or ours.A bit of ceremonial is good for the soul!

4. I would have happily outsourced my place on divisions to any civvie that wanted it.
    Now the Tot, there was a tradition worth keeping.

5. Slim

Contrary to popular belief the tot was not stopped on 31st July 1970 but OUTSOURCED to "Nutty and Friends Co. Ltd" who had the tasked of disposing of tens of thousands of Tots every day. We have manfully kepted up to date and held the level of rum stored by Pusser to a manageable level since that date.

And be paid handsomely. Prior to that date excess rum was always removed and disposed of by Jack Dusty V's

Nutty

6. Drill and ceremonial are part and parcel of life in the military. I agree that they can be a pain, but I can also see their purpose. Training the individual to move and operate as part of a team, learning to respond instantly to a word of command.... all sounds pretty clicheed I'll agree, but I reckon it does work.

7. Unfortunately Nutty I was still serving when the sad demise of the tot happened. However I am enlightened to be informed that such a dedicated team exists. ensuring that this liquid which at one time must have surely been used in the holy grail is being disposed of in a seaman like manner.
    Please keep up the good work and take care of your livers

8. You may be interested (or not!) to learn that Divisions are part of the requirement for RNR Bounty. I, for one, rather enjoy them. After all I did not join the RNR just for the money you know! But also for the history and the tradition.

9. I didn't realise that mate. I have had the odd RNR member in my division, so that's a handy fact to have in case someone ever tries to pull the wool over my eyes about Divisions. I have to admit that I don't enjoy divisions, but like so many things in life, one doesn't have to like something to see its value.

10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

A lawyer not doing it for the money, watch out for the flying pigs :eek:

11. Ha! You are soooo funny! Not!

I do not need to be in the RNR for the money as I get loads being a lawyer!

(Not!)

12. Picture seen in a solicitors office showed a picture of a cow and three men.
    Man 1 held the cows head
    Man2 held the cows tail
    Man 3 was milking the cow.

Whats that about I asked

The solicitor replied that the men holding the cow each claimed ownership of said beast

And the guy milking it?
    The lawyer was the fast reply

13. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I think there's a slight crossed wire here; the Bounty Requirement Divisions are based at the Reserve Unit and will be identified at the start of the Training Year along with any other local activities that the CO may see fit, e.g. Remembrance Day parades.

However, if an RNR is on ORT and the unit to which that person is attached is requried to attend Divisions, then in my view the RNR should fully participate - ORT is not an opportunity to cherry pick only the good bits. Divisions are a fact of Naval life and if the RNR want to be a fully integrated element of the naval service we should take a full part in all aspects, including those bits that may be seen by some as "boring" and "meaningless". Nothing pisses me off more than RNR people being selective about which elements of naval service they are prepared to accept - you've got an RN ID card, you're wearing RN uniform, start playing the part in full!

14. surely, I was told back when I was a baby RNR, that each unit has to have divisions twice a year?

and yes andym a bit of synconised bimbling with a bit of weapon tossing thrown in is good for the soul :D :D

15. I f*cking wished that were the case. I have a Royal Navy Reserve ID card, I have to wear an extra "R" on my uniform, no branch badge and no star even though I qualified as AB1. :roll:

16. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

As an AB1 where the hell is the extra "R"? :)

I too have an RNR ID card, however I understand that in future we'll be identified only by the suffix RNR after our rate/rank.

17. My epaulettes read RNR and my No1s have the Royal Navy Reserve flash on left shoulder. And I am not holding my breath about the whole removal of the "R". We will probably still be waiting for a decision by the next RNR centinary when we can parade on Horse Guards again, bit hard for me to make the Royal Guard I suppose :p .

18. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Lets face it, with recruitment the way it is, we'll all probably be there on extension.... I can just see it now, they'll only play slow marches in deference to our age and the royal salute will be a wonder to behold:

Guard! Royal Salute, preseeeeeennnnnnt ....... zimmer frames :)

19. I know I am going to get into trouble for this but you lot should have tried that place that cannot be named, that run to fall in places on the marker was some thing!!!

20. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Do you mean that place in Suffolk on the River Stour? You know the Royal Hospital School at Holbrook, just upriver from some Naval establishment or other :)

We at RHS also used to have Divisions and the markers also ran onto their spots on the parade ground before the 22 squads were marched on.