Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Royal Marines...?

ah but there is my friend! we could have a drinking compertition :thumright:

we all know that you lot cant drink so therefore you loose and we win ! point proven! :thanks:

Jarhead said:
... (including the RM, who i recently discovered has its own budget, as opposed to our budget being given to the USN, who uses it to buy carriers)...

There have been numerous changes to our budget system over the last 10 years or so, not least the merging of several budgets at the various levels and also aggressive use of resource accounting. However, JH, I'm sure you won't be too suprised if I say that The Corps has the same system as the USMC; (same penny pinching, same juggling of resources, same prioritising out of worthwhile projects and above all the same smiley faces of those telling the grav on the ground to get on with it 'cos it doesn't get any better than this!).

I find it interesting that the Viking vehicle project is, I believe, actually a money-maker for UK plc (due to the work of the RM project/development team) and yet despite this the MoD has not purchased the number of vehicles initially deemed neccessary.

N_S, I stand corrected, I naturally thought of guys joining as I had, as a Junior, to get the 22 years service.

IMD

In_my_day said:
I naturally thought of guys joining as I had, as a Junior, to get the 22 years service.

IMD

No worries, I only posted the up to date terms of the contract for potential joiners- not to be pedantic.

In actual fact if someone joins aged 18, they do get a 22 year contract, all others vary depending on their age on joining. It's all to do with everyone being able to "earn" full pension rights before they must leave the service due to age.

Afraid it's time for pedants' corner;

Jarhead - It was 41 (Ind) Cdo RM, commanding by Lt Col D B Drysdale RM

LG

Afterburner - I know I should get out more. Friday night, and I've got a daysack toppers with work, just to make the weekend fly by.

Littlegreen said:
Afraid it's time for pedants' corner;

Jarhead - It was 41 (Ind) Cdo RM, commanding by Lt Col D B Drysdale RM

LG

Afterburner - I know I should get out more. Friday night, and I've got a daysack toppers with work, just to make the weekend fly by.

oops - my mistake.

For the purists: I signed for the minimum, which was 9 years (but did 12). In 1974 one could drop out of Deal (3 months long) before CTC (6 months long) but one then had to sign on for 9 years. There was definitely no 3 or 6 year bollocks that the Army had. One could get out earlier but it was bloody difficult.

I did the 3 year 'bollocks' (Training plus 18 months then either notice in and do 18 more months and out or sign on for remaining 6) Harry, thinking "I can always sign on for the extra 6 when the 18 month notice comes around"... Defence Cuts meant CSM having a good laugh and showing me the door.
When I had my leaving interview, without tea and biscuits with the CO at the end of my 3, lads who'd been in 18 months and were on the 18 Month cotract, been down South etc, were being asked "When do you want to leave?"
Nice.
NZB

NZ_Bootneck said:
I did the 3 year 'bollocks' (Training plus 18 months then either notice in and do 18 more months and out or sign on for remaining 6) Harry, thinking "I can always sign on for the extra 6 when the 18 month notice comes around"... Defence Cuts meant CSM having a good laugh and showing me the door.
When I had my leaving interview, without tea and biscuits with the CO at the end of my 3, lads who'd been in 18 months and were on the 18 Month cotract, been down South etc, were being asked "When do you want to leave?"
Nice.
NZB

Flippin 'eck, I didn't realise they had been that ruthless. You must have been well hacked off.

Latest Threads