Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Royal Marines...?

Not being funny mate but what do you mean?
Basic training? What would be the point
Other training (exercises etc) Of course, lots of times. Theres one big exercise every year if memory serves ;)
 

Greendeath

Lantern Swinger
This thread is confusing.

The answer is: From my experience. No. Their training is very different. Its I beleive 11 or 19 weeks long (memory loss) and very very different from our training. The name Marine is the same, but thats all.

I worked with a US marine Sergeant in the Arctic once. He was good, but lets face it, they weren't going to send somebody average where they.

Cheers

GreenDeath

aka: Steven Preece
 

chris

Midshipman
Greendeath said:
This thread is confusing.

The answer is: From my experience. No. Their training is very different. Its I beleive 11 or 19 weeks long (memory loss) and very very different from our training. The name Marine is the same, but thats all.

I worked with a US marine Sergeant in the Arctic once. He was good, but lets face it, they weren't going to send somebody average where they.

Cheers

GreenDeath

aka: Steven Preece

just compare an average US marine with an average royal marine.
the fact that all US marines looks like a brickshit house seems to back up how different they are.
obv the RM average doesnt way 6 stone, but they look far more mobile.
different roles.
you wouldnt really volunteer to have a USMC to sit on your head, but we all know who would win in an actual battle.
 
Black horse a few years back, We were invited to pickle medows in california for a mountain training package. Our guide an American Marine was lording the fact that the mountain range was like his back garden and we would struggle with the terrain and our stupidly heavy loads. Imagine our piss taking when he thought we should turn back because the rain and clag had set in. Moaning for best part of the yomp our American friend had to be virtualy carried around the route. In my opinion the only thing Royal and the US marines have in common is the 6 letters that spell marine. Royal is a far superior corps and i would rather spend a shell scrape with a nod at week 15 than most (not all) US Marines
 

Deeps

War Hero
Of course I am not RM but during telic 1 we were attached to 3 CDO.We had loads of USMC with us and as someone has already said they tend to be big lads in the USMC.The big difference I saw is where our boys go for a run at any oppotunity the USMC would hit the wieghts. At the end of the day who cares how much you can bench press when your in a fire fight. The Royals were much much fitter than the yanks.
 

Jarhead

War Hero
Deeps that's the old Corps there; the more modern USMC is a die-hard runner/swimmer.

and harry, the fact that someone shot his mouth off and had to eat his words is not surprising, because there're fools and braggarts in every service on earth. Fact is, USMC usually can outmarch almost anyone into the ground, especially in this modern mechanized world.

Far superior? There are other RM on here with far more credentials on here saying USMC is good enough to hang with RM's; one person does not a Corps make.
 
I

In_my_day

Guest
Jarhead said:
Deeps that's the old Corps there; the more modern USMC is a die-hard runner/swimmer.

and harry, the fact that someone shot his mouth off and had to eat his words is not surprising, because there're fools and braggarts in every service on earth. Fact is, USMC usually can outmarch almost anyone into the ground, especially in this modern mechanized world.

Far superior? There are other RM on here with far more credentials on here saying USMC is good enough to hang with RM's; one person does not a Corps make.

JH is right Harry. I worked with numerous USMC personnel over the years and they range from the early 80s Anglico teams (keen as mustard, kit 15 years ahead of us, very good at what they did but couldn't yomp 15k in the rain!) to some Scout Snipers a couple of years ago who were also good at their trade craft but so far up themselves that they could have disappeared. My biggest disappointment in recent years was the command structure (my assumption it was them rather than the individual gravs) of 15 MEU in Iraq. Despite any criticism we have there is still the question, who would you choose to have alongside you on the battlefield?

IMD
 

super-boots

Badgeman
:thumright: well all we need to rember is that there edgars! of cause they have more and sometimes better equiptment and of cause more "ordanance" but at the end of the day were trained longer and to better standards (do they come out of training as commandos? i think not!). as with anything which impresses, people copy it but you cant beat the original and best! . :threaten:
 

Jarhead

War Hero
super-boots said:
:thumright: well all we need to rember is that there edgars! of cause they have more and sometimes better equiptment and of cause more "ordanance" but at the end of the day were trained longer and to better standards (do they come out of training as commandos? i think not!). as with anything which impresses, people copy it but you cant beat the original and best! . :threaten:

Incorrect Super Boots (weird name btw). After a year and a half USMC is the equal of his RM counterpart. True, it takes us longer to get there as far as training goes, but our training is more intense to begin with than RM training (don't believe me? check out Full Metal Jacket). Please, don't get me wrong; i have the utmost respect for the RM, but don't let patriotism get in the way of facts.

btw, viewing your training it seems its more sensible in the long run... i see many bootnecks with long term service on here (usually enlistment for RM's is usually 8 years or so, compared to 4 years with USMC); maybe if we ratcheted down the intensity, USMC recruits would last longer.
 

allonon

Newbie
Hello all,
new to the site (2nd post) and on this topic i'm afraid i'm on the fence a bit.
i was in 40cdo in the early 80s and we had some USMC on board the Hermes for a while. They were a good bunch of blokes, but stamina and endurance wise they couldn't handle our fizz. Maybe jarhead is right and these were 'old school' USMC (they were f...ing huge!!) i can't comment on the new breed, i haven't met any.
From my recollection though i think the argument is academic as the two Corps have (or had) vastly different roles. (if i'm wrong on this i'm sure one of you shy retiring types will gently correct me) The RM are the best at what they do and if i had ever figured out what the USMC did i'm sure they would be very good at it to. (joke, be gentle with me i'm new)

Remember boys, one a Marine...ANY MARINE.... always a Marine
 

Jarhead

War Hero
allonon said:
Hello all,
new to the site (2nd post) and on this topic i'm afraid i'm on the fence a bit.
i was in 40cdo in the early 80s and we had some USMC on board the Hermes for a while. They were a good bunch of blokes, but stamina and endurance wise they couldn't handle our fizz. Maybe jarhead is right and these were 'old school' USMC (they were f...ing huge!!) i can't comment on the new breed, i haven't met any.
From my recollection though i think the argument is academic as the two Corps have (or had) vastly different roles. (if i'm wrong on this i'm sure one of you shy retiring types will gently correct me) The RM are the best at what they do and if i had ever figured out what the USMC did i'm sure they would be very good at it to. (joke, be gentle with me i'm new)

Remember boys, one a Marine...ANY MARINE.... always a Marine

Actually USMC doesn't actually do anything except work out (with weights only - none of that running stuff), drink watered down excuses for beer, and do "runs ashore" looking for women. Forget what you heard about Iwo Jima and the like, that was just a run ashore where the Japs hid their women and the booze.

(for those who don't know, this comment is severely tongue in cheek)
 

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
Jarhead said:
allonon said:
Hello all,
new to the site (2nd post) and on this topic i'm afraid i'm on the fence a bit.
i was in 40cdo in the early 80s and we had some USMC on board the Hermes for a while. They were a good bunch of blokes, but stamina and endurance wise they couldn't handle our fizz. Maybe jarhead is right and these were 'old school' USMC (they were f...ing huge!!) i can't comment on the new breed, i haven't met any.
From my recollection though i think the argument is academic as the two Corps have (or had) vastly different roles. (if i'm wrong on this i'm sure one of you shy retiring types will gently correct me) The RM are the best at what they do and if i had ever figured out what the USMC did i'm sure they would be very good at it to. (joke, be gentle with me i'm new)

Remember boys, one a Marine...ANY MARINE.... always a Marine

Actually USMC doesn't actually do anything except work out (with weights only - none of that running stuff), drink watered down excuses for beer, and do "runs ashore" looking for women. Forget what you heard about Iwo Jima and the like, that was just a run ashore where the Japs hid their women and the booze.

(for those who don't know, this comment is severely tongue in cheek)
Bollix mate, complete cut and paste from Wikipedia United states Marine Corps History, you know it's true. :thumright:
NZB
 

allonon

Newbie
I like you JH. you've got my sense of humour.

On a serious note. i would say there is one area that you guys have got right. I recently visited your country for the first time and was really impressed with the support our troops logos everywhere.
You've certainly got patriotism weighed off. If we did it over here we would probably be called racist.
America is great. can't wait to go back.
 
Jarhead, You are right and i appologise for jumping in too fast without thinking!! Ihave worked with some great US Marines and other services. I hope you accept my appology.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Employers on Norwegian Exercise with Royal Marines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal Marines train with cutting-edge autonomous technology in Cyprus MoD News 0
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Hosting Your Own Trafalgar Night/Pickle Night Dinner History 2
soleil Royal Marines Charity: "Mark Ormrod Awarded MBE" The Corps 1
soleil Daily Mail: "Proud Dad Gordon Ramsay Reveals Son Jack, 20, Has Joined The Royal Marines" The Corps 5
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity: World Uckers Championship 2020 The Fleet 1
soleil FB: The Bands Of HM Royal Marines:: The 31st Anniversary Of The Deal Barracks Bombing The Corps 2
MoD_RSS Royal Marines accommodation in Lympstone reaches milestone MoD News 0
soleil FB: Royal Navy & Royal Marines Charity - Black Tot Day - 50th Anniversary History 11
soleil FB: Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity - RNRMC Submarine Fund (RNRMC-SMF) Submariners 1
David-19™ Joining the Royal Marines Reserve at 30. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
MoD_RSS Royal Marines travel to Belarus for winter warfare exercise MoD News 0
soleil Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Build Your Own Aircraft Carrier Charity 2
D Is the Royal Navy psychometric test the same for the Royal Marines? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C Are the Royal Marines part of the Royal Navy itself? The Corps 5
soleil Tw: Commander Maritime Reserves - Royal Naval Reserves & Royal Marines Reserve Survey 2020 Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
soleil Sun: "Prince Philip Wants Princess Anne To Head Up The Royal Marines Once Harry Quits" The Corps 47
soleil Plymouth Live: "Royal Navy Sends Marines To Arctic To Prepare For New Era As UK Freezes" The Corps 0
soleil YouTube: The Band of HM Royal Marines - Carol Of The Bells The Corps 0
soleil FB: Green Dagger - A Film By 40 Commando Royal Marines The Corps 0
soleil FB: The Band Of HM Royal Marines Portsmouth Welcomes HMS Queen Elizabeth On Her Return To HMNB Portsmouth The Corps 2
soleil Plymouth Live: "Watch Royal Marines Lead Commando Group Go Wild In The Jungle" The Corps 3
A Royal Marines Birthday 28th Oct 1664 The Corps 3
S Royal marines stuff? i know nothing about half of the stuff i picked up Bloody Computers 0
G Joining the Royal Marines with a history of depression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
R Royal Marines BMI/weight question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Can I join the Royal Marines? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J Potential Royal Marines Forum closed? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
J Clarification regarding eczema DQ for Royal Marines Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Seb1664 Joining the royal marines from phase 2 royal navy UPO/Careers Office 2
B Royal Marines Residency Requirement Dual National Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Ninja_Stoker Royal Navy & Royal Marines Tattoo Policy Change - July 2018 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 41
soleil D. Mail: "Royal Marines Stage Dramatic Landing On Scottish Shore" The Corps 1
soleil RMC Scotland: Royal Marines Commando Dinner - Glasgow - 13 June 2018 The Corps 5
soleil Express: "Royal Marines Cuts U-Turn: 1,500 Troops And Assault Vessels Saved" The Corps 9
T ROYAL MARINES AND THE RT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
soleil "Images Reveal What Portsmouth’s New Royal Marines Museum Will Look Like" The Corps 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy and Royal Marines join major French deployment MoD News 0
soleil The Massed Bands of HM's Royal Marines Beating Retreat - 30/31 May 2018 The Corps 0
R Looking for a Royal Marines documentary from early to mid 90s The Corps 2
Naval_Gazer Prince Harry appointed Captain General Royal Marines The Corps 1
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy and Royal Marines train alongside partner naval forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Marines to be restructured in line with growing Royal Navy MoD News 0
J Royal Marines Deployment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Transfer to Royal Marines questions? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Marines Future "Secure" in Scotland MoD News 0
T Joining the Royal Marines Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS News story: Armed Forces Minister visits 40 Commando Royal Marines MoD News 0
Robin Lovelock Royal Marines rescued Snoopy's robot boat ? :-) The Corps 1
Robin Lovelock Royal Marines rescued Snoopy's robot boat ? :-) Hobbies & The Great Indoors 2
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top