Royal Marines (Y)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by onlinebacon, Nov 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alrightttt Guys =]

I talked to a Royal Navy/Marines careers advisor today, and he told me, if i get more than 140 UCAS points at AS Level, I can join the royal marines commandos at officer level at the end of my first year of 6th form :eek:

Am so happy at the minute =]

Trying to get properly fit, seeing as i have like, not long before selection.

I should be getting my officer interest forms in a couple of days, as long as theres not *another* Royal Mail Strike :|

Any tips on getting fit, pretty quickly, i have something like 10 months (if all goes well) before the RM course, and want to be in PEAK condition =]

Thanks lads/ladettes =]

James

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

OLB: Well done and good luck. Perhaps you could apply some of those occifer-like qualities and search through the appropriate RM/Newbies/Sport threads for previous discussions on pre-joining fitness? This question (and variations of it) have been done to death already... :roll:

3. Go to University, there is only 1 batch a year, if you pick up a serious injury(at 18 it is likely you will be physically less developed than your graduate counterparts) you'll be sat on your hands waiting for the next years batch, and what are you going to do if you have to bang out and realise that you don't have a degree. I know at the moment life after the RM is not even featuring in your thought process, but even the First Sea Lord has to leave the Service at some time (and believe me people are used to Bootnecks being simple!) As a non-graduate your chances of attaining serious grown up status are limited, though not impossible. You'll also have 3 years to improve your fitness, both for the tarzan assault and also the pub. However, try and get the pusser to sponsor you through Uni, that way you get the best of both worlds.

4. On AS-Levels? I was always under the impression that you needed 140 UCAS Points from full A2 Levels, or equivilent.

Although the RM Officer I know, is a non-graduate, the RM Officer on the Commando Programme, is a non-graduate, talk to a RM Careers Liason Officer to see the best route for you.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sorry James, I doubt you spoke to an actual Careers Adviser at your AFCO on that one as it's 5 GCSE's (A*-C) including Maths & English plus 140 UCAS points at A level. This is actually a little more complex than it first appears & the information on the official website is not particularly clear.

To achieve 140 UCAS points at A Level you will need a minimum of grades B, B & C (50+50+40 points) at AS level standard & this will need to be verified by the AIB, depending on their acceptance/approval. BUT, if you go on to A2 level & score lower grades, the AS Level grade points will not count.

Generally the concept for accepting 140 UCAS points at AS Level is for candidates over 18 who have left education but need the 140 points as a minimum requirement for entry as an Officer. An example of this would be someone who left school after completing GCSE's & started an accredited Apprenticeship, earning an HNC, which, depending on the subject taken, has an equivalent to AS Levels with regard UCAS points. Such instances have to be evaluated on an individual basis at the AIB.

Anyone aged 16-18 would be advised to get the points at A2 Level otherwise it would question their motivation & ability to complete their education & would probably not go down particularly well with regard being forwarded for selection after completing AIB.

You can apply for a Corps commission from within the service with just the GCSE's, but you ideally need A2's not AS's to join directly as an officer.

Good luck anyway.