Royal Marines Website Errors

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Ninja_Stoker, Oct 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

For those visiting the excellent Royal Marines Website there are a few glitches that individuals should be aware of, if considering joining the Royal Marines.

The site states (quotes in blue):

Pre-joining fitness test

"This is a 2.4km (1.5-mile) run on a treadmill that you can do at a local fitness centre. You have to finish in 10 minutes and 45 seconds".

This should read: Under 10 minutes.

Pay & Conditions

"If you join as a Royal Marines Commando, we will normally offer you a career of up to 22 years, although you may be able to extend it to 32 years. You must serve for at least three years from when you join, or from your 18th birthday – whichever is the later. After this, you can leave the Royal Marines with 12 months’ notice".

AND

FAQ How long will a Recruit have to sign for?

" Royal Marines join on a Full career of 18 years. Normally you cannot leave during the first four weeks, but then you can leave at anytime up to the first six months after giving 7 days' notice. After six months you will be required to serve a minimum of 2½ years from the end of initial training, after this you can give 12 months notice to leave."

This should read: you will normally be offered a career of up to 18 years or to the age of 40, whichever is the longer. You may submit two weeks's notice at any time after serving two weeks up until your 24th week of training. Personnel under 18 maybe discharged "Unhappy under 18" after serving six months & up until they reach 18 years of age. Upon completing training, you must serve 2.5 years return of service before submitting 12 months notice to leave.

To Become an Officer, "the minimum entry requirements are three GCSEs (A-C)/five S grades (1-3) including English language and mathematics and two A levels/three H grades. Applicants with alternative qualifications are considered on their individual merits".

This should read: FIVE GCSE's (A-C)/five S grades (1-3) including English language and mathematics and A levels totalling 140 UCAS points at A2 level. Applicants with alternative qualifications are considered on their individual merits.

Hope this clarifies the issue & hopefully the errors will be corrected shortly.

Four weeks & counting so far....

2. Thanks for the info dude!!! Was wondering why you previously told me five. However i spoke to one of the careers advisors on the Royal Marines 0845 number (careers advice) and they said it was definetely 3 GCSE's now... where are you getting this from? Maybe they changed it and you didn't notice or hear about it, not meant to be any conflict here im just trying to get to the bottom of this. Cheers, Jamie.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Invaluable advice Jamie, thank you.

It's 5 GCSE's fella. If you happen to ring the guy on 08456 07 55 55 number, tell him from me he's wrong.

Ta, because I can't be bothered arguing.

4. FIGHT, FIGHT,FIGHT. Sorry couldn't resist. Now writing I MUST GROW UP 1,000 times with a big crayon.
    NZB

5. They allowing you crayons now NZ?

6. Only ones with blunt ends. No sharps for this kiddie.
    NZB

7. Ninja - I assume you've passed word through the right channels to have the info on the website corrected. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes. I update mine daily but then I'm not a big and efficient professional 'brand' like the RN is these days (nor as important).

8. Ninja_Stoker

NG: Yep, the errors were reported to the "webmaster" (I love that title!) exactly 5 weeks ago today.

To be fair some errors on the site were corrected fairly swiftly, however the problem is that the errors are duplicated or triplicated in different areas of the site, tucked away, such as FAQ's, advice to parents etc., often the errors only come to light when someone draws our attention to it.

It's rather frustrating when we know there's errors, & as in this instance, people rightly assume the website is correct. It usually is, but in the instances listed, there are one or two glitches.

9. Whilst on the subject of updates to the official site i wonder how long it will take for them to get this up...

(http://www.royalmarines.mod.uk/training-and-fitness/get-fit-to-apply.php)

I am quite intrigued to see what it will be like. Would be nice if it could help track your fitness progress/goals

10. Ninja_Stoker

With the exception of the Pay & Conditions, 18 year (or up to age 40) contract, it's good to see the RM website has now corrected the original errors listed at the start of this thread after 5 weeks of frustration.