Royal Marines to re-enact the Cockleshell Raid

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by watch_and_shoot, Oct 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Two Royal Marines are to re-enact a daring World War II raid where commandos canoed up a river to attach limpet mines to enemy ships.

Ten men took part in the "Cockleshell" raid in 1942 - but only two survived. Their heroic exploits in five canoes on a French river led to the team being known as the Cockleshell Heroes.

2. Excellent news, a good result for Royal when not much good news was about in WW2.
    As a matter of interest I met Bill Sparkes at Chiswick Bus Depot where he worked as a Bus Driving Examiner/Instructor in the late 80's, top bloke and very modest. Had a wee chat during a tea break from a course I was doing at the Train Depot.
    I recognised him from a picture that was in the Globe and Buster article about the raid.
    Good luck to the lads attempting this, hope they get through the tidal race OK.
  3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Best of luck lads, keep safe.
  4. The film 'Cockleshell Heroes' is the film that gave me the idea to become a Royal Marine :rambo:

When I was at Eastney barracks I was on gate duties , the films Main Gate was the Field officers quarters which was part of my beat during the hours of darkness :bball: