Royal Marines search for alien cat?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by amazonian, Jan 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was just wondering if there was any truth in what I read on this website. It claims that in the 1980's the ministry of agriculture called in the Royal Marines to deal with a giant cat roaming exmoor gobling up sheep.

So is there any truth to this story then? Is the squirrel in danger of losing its position as most dangerous animal native to the UK? :biggrin:
  2. An ursurper to the squirrels title? Hmm...

3. There were many reports of this animal (or animals) around Exmoor at that time, my parents lived in West Somerset in the mid-late seventies and I recall this being reported.

I live in Monmouthshire now and there have been a number of sightings of large cats here in recent years and it seems pretty likely that there's truth in the reports, as remains of sheep have been found quite regularly. in this area as on Exmoor there are also plenty of deer from them to prey on.

It's believed that these animals came to be living wild after being released by private owners following a change in the law some time back, which meant they couldn't any longer be legally kept.
  4. The squirrel would definitely lose out to whatever cat it was. I was one of those that went there, not searching but in armed OPs to kill it. We were based on several affected farms and deployed for several days (nights) at a time into the OPs I saw some of the sheep carcasses, they were effectively stripped including ribs. We also saw paw prints; which a guy from Paignton Zoo (?) explained to us. I don't think anyone got a shot at it but sevearl guys did catch glimpses.

5. I heard that they caught that thing.

After all these years it wasn't a Puma or single breed.

It was a mix between a Panther and a Picos.

I hadn't heard of a Picos either, so I asked.

My Dad replied '£1.27 at Tescos son'.