Royal Marines Police archive?

Discussion in 'History' started by sartana, Jan 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

New to this list.

I am researching the life of my great grand father, Charles Hooper. He enlisted in the Royal Marines as a Greenwich schoolboy in 1898, and served until 1923, mainly posted in the Meditarranean Fleet, in Malta. After that, he joined the Royal Marines Police for a period of time - where I think he may have been based in Scotland for a short while - perhaps Abercrombie? He later went on to have a desk-job. His last job, in semi-retirement, was as a doorman/commissionaire at the Foreign Office.

Thus far I am unable to trace his service record in the RM Police - and it would be great to know a little about where he was stationed, and what his role might have been.

Does anyone have any ideas how I might approach this?

2. Welcome to the site. Have you tried the National Archives for his service records?
  3. Yes - I have his RM service records - though this does not include any information about his time in the RM Police. I presumed that this is a different set of records?
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Welcome to RR also.

the RMs Police tended to operate with Army units, and still do (more than RN ones to be honest) so here is a list of RMP-related websites here which may help:

Try also the RMP Museum at Southwick Park, Hampshire (the old HMS Dryad) which holds historical records:

Or perhaps contact our own Regulating/RN Police (website currently being updated, but a link is here):

Good luck! :thumbleft:
  5. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I'm guessing that your reference to Greenwich is the Greenwich Hospital School - is this also a topic of research for you?

The school still exists but with a couple of major differences;
    - pupils are no longer required to join the RN/RM on leaving;
    - since 1933 its been at Holbrook near Ipswich rather than Greenwich and as a consequence is now called the Royal Hospital School rather than Greenwich Hospital School.

Here are a couple of wikipedia articles on the current and prior incarnations of this organisation, as well as the web-site of Greenwich Hospital, the charity under which it all operates.
  6. Thanks for all of your pointers.

I will follow up all of the leads that you have suggested.