Royal Marines Pilot?

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Gareth1994, Nov 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi my name is Gareth and i'm new to the Rum Ration Forum :D

I just need someone to clarifiy this for me please.

Do the Royal Marines have Pilots?

If so are they part of the Fleet Air Arm?

Do some of them fly Fast Jets?

Thanks for your time and help! :D :D :D
  2. I'm sure you will get an answer soon . :D
  3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

4. Don't mention it!

4. Haha thanks very much for relpying :D

I never knew the RM had Fast Jet Pilots 8O what is the proceedure for becoming a Royal Marines Pilot?

Are they Commandos?

What kind of Attack Aircraft do they fly? :D

Thanks again! :D :lol: :D :lol: :D
  5. The RM won't have any fast jet pilots come April.

1. Join the Royal Marines, as an Officer if you want to be a stick monkey sooner.

2. Yes, as with all Royal Marines.

3. RM have pilots cuting around on Merlin, SeaKing, Lynx, Gazelle, Harrier and, I believe, soon to be one on Apache.
  6. Stand fast bandies
  7. Bandies don't need no green lid. You simply don't fuck with a man armed with a tuba.
  8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Exactly. To carry full field kit, weapons and ammo is a piece of piss. But to drag a glockenspiel into battle - and in step - is hoofing. Ãœber nails, in fact...

9. Thank you guys for all your feedback. :)

What Type of Aircraft do the Royal Marines fly? as in the Aircraft model?

10. Harriers (for about three more weeks) and Sea Kings presently - can't remember the green beret I met a couple of times in jump jet world, but Capt Damien May was very active at 771.

Not sure if there are any Royals flying on 847. I'd be surprised if there wasn't one.

There are also RM aircrewmen on Junglies - and that ain't an easy job...

Of course, all Royal Marines can fly. They just flap their arms and, such is their superhuman strength, they take off...
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's probably worth pointing out, in order to manage realistic, achievable aspirations that the only assured way of becoming a pilot is by joining as one, likewise those who want to be a Commando above all else, should join as a Royal Marine primarily.

Having spoken with one of AIB's key figures earlier today, the current reality is that the prospect of being an RN fast jet pilot is virtually nil at present & anyone aspiring to join as an RN pilot should expect to be streamed rotary wing only for the time being.

The same goes for Royal Marines, but whilst theoretically achievable & perhaps long term goal, there are 'easier' routes to becoming a Commando trained helicopter pilot - ie join as RN & hope to undergo all-arms Commando. If you fail the latter, you'll still be the former. If you try it the other way around & fail RM YO training, you'll just be a civilian without a helicopter driving licence.
  12. The chap in charge of FPG a couple of years ago flew Apaches with the USMC. I don't know if he's still there, or has moved on.
  13. Or a push you out, a pull you back, if you push it too far it fall off the end :D

14. The chap could consider joining with a divinity degree,

Multitudinous openings in the here-and-now, prior to the there-for-ever-and-ever-after, ie:

Sky Pilot/Sin Bosun/Skin Bosun (RC only, though)/Skimmers/Wafus/Boats/MQs/DQs/RMBS (Harp section) etc etc

"Every time a Bell Rings" the wings are issued and the world becomes your lobster :lol:
  15. The guy you are on about is Brig. Mark Noble who is the Boss at Yeovilton. (He actually flew Cobra not Apache). :)

Royal Marines are flying in nearly all Rotary A/C including exchanges with the RAF on Chinook. I know of at least 2 Harrier Pilots who are out of a job but hopefully they'll get a seat somewhere else soon. Lots of the guys are spread around the FAA on nearly every type and role, Junglie Mk4, SAR, Grey Lynx and of course 847 have the majority.

To be a Pilot in the Corps you will need to be very very lucky, if you pass AIB and get to CTC then all you have to do is pass Officer trg. Once you get to a Unit the Corps will want some return of service before letting you go off flying, I'd expect 3 yrs or so.

After that you can apply for Flying training which if you are able to pass all tests and get to the end as a Pilot you will probably have been in the Corps for about 6yrs.

However it is one of the best jobs in the Corps.. :D :D
  16. Just as for STC, many apply few are chosen.
    As easy as passing the AIB, Royal Marines Officer training and then serving as an RM Officer is I'm surprised more young thrusters aren't transferring their MoH or CoD skills to the Regular Forces ASAP. :roll:
  17. That's the fella. I've just found his biog on the defenceintranet, and you are right, it was the AH-1W, not the AH-64, which he flew with the yanks.