Royal Marines- Joining Question

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by handy04, Jul 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey I am from the United States and I know I cannot join the Royal Marines since the US is like the only former British colony that isn't part of the Commonwealth. However I heard from a UK citizen that if I immigrated to Britain and lived there for a while I could join the Royal Marines.
    I was wondering if this is true and if you could possibly enlighten me more?
  2. I'm no expert, but I believe you have to have lived a certain amount of time in the United Kingdom to be eligible to join. I'm sure some more experienced members will be able to give you times etc.

3. Enter as an Illegal Immigrant, they cant send you back as they have the death penalty where you come from :w00t: , go on benefits for five years, apply again for British Citizenship, the BINGO you`re in, easy innit? :w00t:
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hi & welcome.

Just to clarify, there are in fact two issues which you touched on, which you must fulfill, (amongst others,) to be eligible to join the Royal Marines - Residency & Nationality - The two are quite separate.

For entry into the Naval Service a candidate must, at all times since birth, fall into
    one of the following Nationality categories:

a. British Citizen.
    b. Dual British/Commonwealth, British/Irish, British/Other citizenship.
    c. Irish or Commonwealth citizen.
    d. Dual Commonwealth / Commonwealth, Commonwealth/other Irish/
    Commonwealth or Irish/Other nationality.

If you contact the overseas desk at London AFCO, they will advise accordingly - link below.

The Residency requirement is part of the Security Clearance procedure and is irrespective of the Nationality of the candidate. The residency status of the candidate's parents or partner is not considered.

Unless satisfactory security checks can be carried out in the candidates’ country of residence, candidates for entry into the Naval Service should normally have resided in the UK for a minimum of five years immediately prior to making an application. In certain circumstances, particularly where an applicant is of UK origin, a shorter period of residence may be accepted.

Good luck.
  5. Are the US Armed Forces not good enough for you, Handy? :dwarf: