Royal Marines - Is it for me?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by jacko20, Dec 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys first time post here so thought i would introduce myself and ask a few questions.

*Feel free to ignore the rest, got a kinda life story/Wall O' text thing going on here, probably long and boring to most.*

I am 20 years old and i live in South East england with my Mom and 2 brothers.

I have recently found myself at a bit of a crossroads and I don't know which direction I should be heading.

Throughout my teens I really wanted to work in graphic design and worked hard at school and college getting whatever grades I needed to achieve my goal but somewhere along the line. Halfway through my second year at college it dawned on me that I would never be content with a job as a graphic designer. I loved it but there was just something about it that I couldn't quite put my finger on a something that left me unsatisfied and I lost my passion and drive towards that goal...

A little while afterwards my mom got sick and that was the straw that broke the camels back really. I could never properly focus on my goal and felt it was time to drop out and find a new path.

Since then I have been working at a local supermarket scraping the pennies together living life a little and trying to figure out what it is exactly what I want to do.

Recently my mind has been drifting into ideas of joining the armed forces with the Royal Marines standing out in particular. Now I understand how big a choice this would be and that its not a decision to be made lightly by any means. Hence why I have come here to find out a little bit more and maybe ask a little advice.

Until fairly recently I was never really an active guy. about 2 years ago I was a 17stone waster who rarely ventured outside my front door. I lived the typical teenage lifestyle, but I soon got my act together got myself some decent fitness equipment dragged my a** outside for some fresh air and now im touching 14 and a half stone and fit as a fiddle. I still have much work to do. I do enjoy the occasional pint or 6 and the odd KFC now and then but it will come in time.

I have weighed up the pros and cons about this decision and have been umming and ahhing for a long time.

The biggest fear I have is. Would someone like me fit into the world of the Marines?

I wouldn't say that I fit the typical persona of a Marine. I have always been fairly timid. I tend to shy away from confrontation if possible. My first line of defense has always been to talk my way out of trouble first before resorting to other means. People see me as the gentle giant. I always put other people ahead of myself no matter what the situation. I am the kinda guy who is everyones friend. I cant think of one person who would have a bad word to say about me.

I'm a very placid guy but deep down I am constantly seeking the next thrill I am hungry to be challenged whenever possible and thirsty to learn new things, when I don't have those three I become restless and uninterested.

I'm and intelligent guy. but my intelligence lies in my ability to systematically and methodically work my way through problems.

Ok.. I guess that will do for now. Sorry if I went on a bit.

So in your honest opinion guys. Do you get many people through the doors
    of the shy/quiet nature?

If so how do they fare in the world of a Royal Marine? Are they accepted with open arms?

My self confidence has always been my biggest problem. It seems to forever hold me back. Though I have gotten a little better through the years.

Really appreciate the time for those that read all that and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sounds like you should give it a go... nothing wrong with trying! From what I read, it sounds like you'd be a great marine - but I'm really no expert!
  3. Jacko - The Royal Marines have many shy, introverts who lack self-confidence walk in through their gates. I can pretty much promise you that the day that you walk back out of the gates at CTCRM with your green lid these things will have become a non-issue :thumright:

4. Shy quiet that was me and still is!

But inside confident and strong.

Unlike the other lot who have to mouth off about how good they are Royal just does the job!! Tick off below which fits your character. Thinking about your mom sick is unselfishness. And posting on here courage and humility that is three gone! Carry on.

* UNITY
  5. Excellent post Jacko, welcome aboard.
    You have done well to kick your bad habits and lose the amount of weight that you have, this proves that you're a determined young thruster, which 9 times out of 10 is what will get you through most things in life, including Royal Marines training.
    You've also got a well developed sense of humour (You'll need it, never mind in the RM, just on here is bad enough at times! :bball: ) so in my book you'd be able to cope.
    You will find in life that those who seem to be brimming with self confidence are really just full of BS and it is the quiet ones who knuckle down and get on with it that get the job done, best of luck to you :thumright: .
    Keep us informed of your progress. :w00t:
  6. Wet Blobby?? :dwarf:
  7. According to the RM site the Royal Marines Ethos = Individual Commando Spirit + Collective Group Values. MMM? I detect the heavy hand of management consultants. However, there are four simple words surrounding the Commando medal, which, as has already been suggested, you are on your way to winning:

As for not charging blindly into trouble, we used to say that attacks were of two kinds: Charging over open ground (Red) or crawling through the long grass (Green). Take your pick :)
  8. How do you feel about pugil stick fighting in the nuddie? :violent1:
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome Jacko, much of the advice given so far is from people with practical Royal Marines experience and is therefore well founded, sound advice, hence I've kept my nose out (until now[​IMG]).

I'm not a Royal Marine, however in addition to the good advice already: what you may want to consider is starting the ball rolling by nipping into the nearest AFCO & having a chat with some serving Marines to see what you think.

Another thought is to start the selection process (you can stop the process at any stage- you are not obliged to join) and perhaps see if you can attend a Royal Marines Acquaintance Day which will give you a good butchers' at what it's all about.

Good luck!
  10. Wow thanks for the great replies. You guys have made me feel a whole lot better about this.

Once Christmas is out of the way I will defiantly get the ball rolling and arrange a meeting at the AFCO and see where that takes me.

In the meantime I will continue with my fitness regime and study up on life in the Marines and get as clued up as possible.

I will be sure keep those who are interested posted on my progress.

Its most likely I will be floating around these boards from time to time also, I may even chirp in every now and then.

Thanks again for those who read and bothered to reply to my post, much appreciated.

11. Hello and welcome to the site Jacko.

Did you watch any of the Commando series that has been on recently?

If you did catch it, did you notice many extrovert recruits mate? As their training progressed, you would have seen their self-confidence grow to the point where they (rightly) believed in themselves to such an extent that nothing was impossible :)
    You see where i'm heading here ?
    Only you know if you can be a Royal Marine, but the training staff at CTC WILL give you all the encouragement and help that you need to pass out.
    Good luck with your decision, I know it will be whats right for you.
    In the mean time, why not have a look around for your nearest RM Reserves ?
  12. I would always pick the third kind. Well out of range of any nasty stuff, wearing a ghillie-suit, carrying a rifle that had no bayonet-lug and cheering on the Gravel-Bellies like Marine Blobinski :bball: :bball: :bball:

13. Good answer, pmsl. But one of 42's snipers still managed to get half his arse blown off ! :w00t:

14. As did a certain Taff Corporal at Top Malo House :thumright: