Royal Marines in Malaya...help please!

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Commercialdiver, Aug 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I'm new on here so hello everyone!

About 35 years ago, I was given a flag by a friend of my dad. He was a Royal Marine during the communist insurgency in Malaya. The story went that they had taken the camp of a famous female insurgent leader and this was the flag captured during the battle.
    It is a 4'x3 red flag with a hand sewn hammer and sickle insignia and several lines of Chinese type hand written script. There is a picture of the marines with the flag taken at the time which I saw a kid but do not have.

Yes, I have tried google to no avail, and I can post a pic of flag if allowed or can email pic to someone who can post it for me!

Any info on this action would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mac

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  2. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

Fascinating. Pity it got separated from the photograph. ISTR the Highlanders Museum at Fort George have something similar.

3. photo flag.jpg

I only ever had a photocopy Of pic but I was only 12 and mislaid it...!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

5. Might be worth contacting the RM Museum (023 9281 9385). They could ask their contacts at the Imperial War Museum and Naval Historical Branch if necessary.

6. Wasn't 40 Cdo based in Singa's in the early 70's until we, (Brits), handed over to ANZUK forces and we withdrew!

7. 40 Commando.

8. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

42 and 40 shared the most time in Malaya (45 were in Aden)

A very simplistic overview I know but might concentrate the search for the photo onto those two units. Have a read of the Limbang raid.

9. They were indeed, but the trouble officially ended in 1966 although most of it finished in 65.
    We still got the milk through though.;-P

10. Gentlemen? The whole of the Royal Marine 3rd Commando Brigade moved to Malaya from Hong Kong in the Aprill of 1949 and were allocated the region of the state of Perak for operations against communist rebels,I have seen the flag in question and somewhere amongst my bits and pieces I have the photograph,If I can have the details of what unit what troop and location I may be able to throw more light on the subject.Aye JR

A Troop 40 commando 1949-1951.Cheers