Royal Marines - Help Needed

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Pandemican, May 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm trying to understand the command structure of the Royal Marines and I'm getting abit confused, I'm applying to be a Royal Navy Warfare Officer and I have my SIFT interview this Friday coming. I understand that it is wise to have a knowledge of the Royal Marines so I've been doing some research.

I've brushed up a fair bit on what helicopters and amphibious landing vessels and land vehicles the corps use so I think I'm alright there.

However, my main issue is I'm getting abit confused over the way the marines are organised and where they are based. Giving me abit of a headache to be honest so if anyone in the know can help me understand it better I'd greatly appreciate it.

I've read the name Royal Marines Base Chivenor in Devon a few times so am I right in assuming that is officially where the bulk of the Marines are based?

I got confused when I saw this chart however as it has the Marines labelled as 'Porstmouth' and then there is the 3 Commando Brigade...which I'm abit unsure of too, is that officially still part of the Marines or do they count as something autonomous that is predominantly made up of marines (amongst others) but not labelled a marines force, or does it count as a one of the many divisions of the marines, in which case, how many divisions/parts of the marines are there?

I'm abit at a loss as how much I need to know/how in depth with my knowledge of the Royal Marines structure should be in regards to my Royal Navy SIFT so I'm getting abit stressed :-/ ...if anyone can lend me a few words of wisdom I'd greatly appreciate it, cheers again...sorry for my many posts! Hopefully I can return the favor to other newbies when I'm one day in the know :-D[​IMG]
  2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"I'm applying to be a Royal Navy Warfare Officer and I have my SIFT interview this Friday coming. I understand that it is wise to have a knowledge of the Royal Marines so I've been doing some research."

I admire your depth of research, but you are going far too deep into what you need to know, if you are going to become an RN Warfare Officer. If you get in, then you will be briefed at the appropriate time as to the structure and roles of the RM.

For now and at a sift interview, I would suggest that knowing that the SDSR aim is to allow the UK to deliver approximately 1800 marines and sustain them ashore, through the UK response force (or whatever its called today), then knowing which RN/RFA vessels can carry them is more than enough. I would also research where the Corps has been deployed recently, where it is currently deployed (HERRICK and COUGAR) and leave it there.

I would be exceptionally surprised if you were asked about what the RM was doing at an RN Sift interview, and if you did demonstrate this level of knowledge that you aspire to, then you may be marked down as a 'Navy Nerd' and it could damage your chances.

Some knowledge is useful, the level of knowledge you currently seek is probably too much.
  3. WHAT!I need to know the indepth knowledge of the royal marines as well!I might just take a history book into the sift with me.Read them passages about the crusades while im at it!
  4. That chart seems quite self-explanatory to me. RM HQ at Portsmouth, 3 Cdo Brigade based at Plyymouth with booties in their various bases plus the add on pongoes. If you can't understand that I think your going for the wrong job.

Only thing wrong is I thought 29 cdo (RA) was based in the citadel in Plymouth, could be mistaken though.
  5. Do Royal sharpshooters still man the foretops as in my day? What? I feel an outrage bus letter to the Times coming on.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Spot on.

And for those wondering: Yes you do need to know about 3 Commando Brigade & it's components for AIB, much the same as a potential Royal Marines Officer needs to know about ships, submarines, aircraft, current deployments & the RFA.

more here:
    Last edited: May 30, 2011
  7. The chart doesn't seem to mention 30 Commando
  8. It does, just under their old name.
  9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Persec Alf, Persec
  10. My mistake 'Landing Force Command Support Group' I got there in the end
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I can't see the Underwater Knife Fighting Platoon on that ORBAT.

Mind you, 49 Para doesn't come under 16 Air Assault Brigade either. Must be part of the big 3.
  12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer