Royal Marines: Commando Officer

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by jlong91, Oct 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Could i ask, do the RM generally recruit many young recruits as officers, for example people around the 18 year old age? Or do they like people older with more life experience?

Basicly, is it difficult to join as a RMCommando Officer at 18, with required GCSE and A-Level's? Or do they welcome young recruits?

2. If you have been watchin 'Commando: on the front line' on itv the Troop Commader is 21 (i think) and then officer that has just passed out and is Afghan is 23, bearing in mind the length of training i wouldnt be suprised if they would have joined or at least first stepped in the AFCO at 18

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You can apply from the age of 17:

RM Officer Entry Standards.

It is equally as difficult at 17 or 25, but all are welcome to apply.

(Check your PM's regarding academic requirements, incidentally.)

4. im guessing they dont mind to much about life experience. The marines are well known for breaking people and then building them up again how they want them

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The Royal Marines are looking for people they can train as Officers & Other Ranks.

An Officer is not expected to join as an all-round competent leader & manager, but is expected to arrive with an expectation to be trained as such & receptive to being trained.

Hopefully the Royal Marines do not have a reputation for "breaking" people, as that would imply the potential recruit was resisting a method of training and instructing that was forcibly imposed against the will of the individual.

6. I doubt that it would be a problem as there would certainly be some Corp Commission (like Upper Yardmen) in the officer batch as well.

7. The last bootneck I worked with had done exactly that, and there was no problem with him joining up (apart from the fact he was slightly thick!), so in answer to your question, no, there is no problem with an RMR OR with operational experience joining as an RM Officer.....

8. I have a couple of questions; if you chaps would be so kind.

Firstly, is the upper age limit for potential Royal officers 26?

Secondly, is the academic requirements the same as for the RN?

Thirdly, the big 'un, what sort of fitness would be required of a YO starting CTCRM?

Cheers for any answers.

V

9. See Ninja posted link above - then trawl the RN/RM web site, check the existing threads on the Newbies section and contact you AFCO for more info.

I understand part of the selection process is to do the same AIB as RN officers

10. :oops: Ok, missed that link when I read it. Looks like most of my answers are there, I'll have a butchers before asking anymore stupid questions :oops:

V