Royal Marines Beating Retreat 09 to be broadcast.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by maliyellah, Jun 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My reply from BBC complaints:
    I understand you feel disgusted to have read we won't be broadcasting coverage of the Royal Marines Beating Retreat on Horse Guards Parade this year and would like to know why the decision was taken.
    Having reviewed our upcoming schedules I can confirm that this event will indeed be broadcast. The programme is scheduled to be broadcast on 13 June between 10.30am and 12.20pm on BBC 1. You may find the following link, from our listing, of interest: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone/programmes/schedules/london/2009/06/13

What a fascinating u-turn.

2. That is not beating retreat by the RMB !!!!!!!
    That is Trooping the Colour: The Queen's Birthday Parade by the guards divisions

3. Beating retreat started yesterday today and tomorrow at 1812 in the evening on horseguards

4. Yep, I double, double checked the schedule and had a double,double take.
    Sorry all I got a bit over excited and posted before i checked.

Here is a full copy of my reply from the BBC:

> Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 16:25:43 +0100
    > From: [email protected]
    > Subject: BBC Complaints [T2009060300L1S010Z5812861]
    > To: [email protected]
    > CC:
    >
    > Dear Mr Halley
    >
    > Thanks for your e-mail.
    >
    > I understand you feel disgusted to have read we won't be broadcasting coverage of the Royal Marines Beating Retreat on Horse Guards Parade this year and would li to know why the decision was taken.
    >
    > Having reviewed our upcoming schedules I can confirm that this event will indeed be broadcast. The programme is scheduled to be broadcast on 13 June between 10.30am and 12.20pm on BBC 1. You may find the following link, from our listing, of interest:
    >
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone/programmes/schedules/london/2009/06/13
    >
    > Nevertheless I'd like to take this opportunity to assure you that I've recorded your comments onto our audience log. This is an internal daily report of audience feedback which is circulated to many BBC staff including senior management, producers and channel controllers.
    >
    > The audience logs are seen as important documents that can help shape decisions about future programming and content.
    >
    > Thanks again for taking the time to contact us.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Ciaran McConnell
    > BBC Complaints
    > __________________________________________
    >
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints
    >
    > -----Original Message-----
    >
    > >{Programme Name:}
    > >{Transmission Date:}
    > >
    > >{Comments:}
    > >I was absolutely disgusted to read that the BBC will not be transmitting coverage of the Royal marines Beating Retreat on Horseguards Parade. This is the first time in my living memory that this has not happened I am pretty shocked by this decision considering how difficult it is due to defence cuts and changes of priority at the MoD to see the Marines or any other band for that matter. Apart from Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance and the infrequent appearances at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo this was the only time to see the Royal Marine Massed Bands perform a full ceremonial on television. A truly unique and distinctive event unequalled in any other nation that is distinctively british. As an expression of support not only for the Royal Marines but our Royal Navy especially as a lot of money goes from this event to various charities including Help For Heroes or does the BBC no longer believe supporting the armed forces, veterans and there families from past and recent conflicts to be a priority?
    > >If the thinking, if any was involved, was purely on musical representation of genre's this makes no sense. Was not even a move to BBC4 considered. I would like to point out just for the purposes of genre comparison on this point that last years folk prom was performed to a mostly empty Albert Hall despite Bellowhead performing and televised live on BBC4. The Royal Marine Bands perform to a packed Albert Hall over three nights every February and to packed concert halls of substantive capacity throughout the UK all year around so potential viewing audience really can't be an issue. I have attended many concerts and events featuring the Royal Marine Band Service and have always been part of a large and appreciative audience of varying ages.
    > >Please could you explain the reasons for this decision and your future plans to further withdraw support for our armed forces and there families?
    >
    >
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/
    > This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
    > If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system.
    > Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify the sender immediately.
    > Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.
    > Further communication will signify your consent to this.
    >

5. I am realy disapointed as i have not been able to get this year .I go to the albert hall for MFM and then when its the RMBs turn for beating retreat i go there but this year i cant unfortunately thats why i was hoping it would be on the box or at least the highlights

6. Just confirms my belief that the BBC is now run by a shower of ill informed numpties who can't even tell the difference between the Guards Division and the Royal Marines.
    Shame on all of the overpaid twats.
    2BM

7. I'm going to be there tonight. Let's hope the weather holds ....