Royal Marines - Applications now at 5 year high.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ninja_Stoker, Feb 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The BBC News clip states there's an average 5 month wait, for successful applicants, from submitting a completed application to joining the Royal Marines.

Doubtless the recession has something to do with it, but even with the tragic news of losses in Afghanistan, the Royal Marines are viewed as one of the very best. Certainly the increase in applicants has been noticed at AFCOs across the UK.

Edited to amend duff link.

2. That's great news.

No doubt the recession does influence joining, however there are easier jobs to do in the Armed Forces than Royal Marine!

The media coverage however bad must be a good thing for recruiting then?

Does look Gucci sitting on a WMIK/Jackal banging off a .50! :lol:

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

This could save the Laura Ashley shop chain from going bust. :wink:

4. Ninja_Stoker

We can only hope.

According to the Financial Times, Laura Ashley predict a surge in sales during the last Quarter of the 08/09 FY.

This coincides with 3 Cdo Brigade's return from Afghanistan.

5. How many do think will initally apply, decide it too tough, but then crucially go on to join another part of HM forces? I mean,t he Army is 9000 lower on its sheets than it should be - any extra would certainly help!!

6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

There was a report in the press a couple of days ago saying that they were cutting back on foreign recruits because UK residents were applying for the Army in ever increasing numbers. I suspect that part of the problem will be time taken to get people into the training pipe line as appears to be the RN problem

7. I heard that - I believe there is an idea afoot to limit the number of foreign solders to 10%? And considering there are 5 500 currently serving, we can't really afford to loose them... plus there is a recruitment drive on in jamaica as we speak!

8. Ninja_Stoker

Whoopsie- just amended dodgy link on the first post- apologies.

9. Ninjie does this mean that you will not be able to spend so much time loitering on here and other websites, but rather have to get down to the serious business of work?!!

10. Ninja_Stoker

Funny you should say that, but you'll notice my contribution on the site has diminished greatly due to the increase in pesky applicants. The job would otherwise be a doddle were it not for people wanting to join.

Incidentally there are most certainly no limitations on eligible overseas applicants joining the UK services. The RN/RM would not consider it & so far as we're aware it isn't even an option, however they may reduce overseas recruiting initiatives if we fulfil our requirement from UK alone due simply to the cost of overseas advertising & recruiting.

11. Any Polish or Nepalese wanting to join? Plenty around here...

12. Ninja_Stoker

There have indeed been many Polish enquirers over the last few years. Not sure how the Army are doing for Ghurkas however.

Unfortunately under current rules the Polish are ineligible, however it's certain the next time a dictator threatens to invade the UK & we need help, we will once again change the rules regarding eligibility.

13. Lets hope that's after my lifetime then.

All for travelling the world and enjoying new cultures, but not - as currently is - thrust in my face five/six days a week!

14. Sounds like hell.

15. How inconvenient for you!

16. Ninja_Stoker

Indeed, but you & others equally astute will notice it's now Sunday & as with other advice proferred on here, by myself & the other recruiters, it's usually given outside of the working day- either just before, just after, during weekends & during lunch breaks.

As we're employed to recruit, we try to answer the pertinent recruiting questions to assist those wishing to join, whilst not bothering so much with the more inane stuff, tempting though it is, to morph into Hig. [​IMG]