Royal Marine to SAS Air Troop

While its tempting to admire the sheer balls of the original poster, the chances of him making it through RM acquaint, CTCRM, time in a rifle Coy then Selection then into a specific troop is about as likely as my being the next Queen of England.
And whys that so? Because I have aspirations

I have know many a fit marine not make it to the specials, it is not just your fitness, it is the whole package, attitude, abilities' they look for what they want, you will not know what it is until you get there and if you don't have it you will not be selected. So what people are saying is aim high but one step at a time. It is also a good idea to keep your future aim to yourself until you have a green beret or you may find you are pushed hard from the beginning?

dhobyitch

Lantern Swinger
While its tempting to admire the sheer balls of the original poster, the chances of him making it through RM acquaint, CTCRM, time in a rifle Coy then Selection then into a specific troop is about as likely as my being the next Queen of England.
You carry on mate. In twenty years time, when Queen Twiglet I is pinning a metal cross on your chest, for feats of daring-do - East of Suez - what will say to him?.... Besides calling him a ****. :)

123456, sumo hit the nail on the head, I dare say there are many on here who went through basic (RN/RM) who had someone in the group stating he was going SBS/SAS, que much piss taking, and even more if he fell at some hurdle during basic. Aim high by all means, but also be a realist, just getting to Lympstone is a feat in itself, then getting a green lid is real achievement. Get through those two stages, then think about SF, as telling all and sundry that you want to be UKSF at this point is really putting the cart before the horse. You may get to Lympstone and find the life is not for you, you may fail the course, and you may get a green lid, and at that point you may make the choice that SF is not for you as you will have a much better idea of the requirements by then.

Or in simple terms aim high, keep your gob shut, work hard and see how far you get, keep your cards close to your chest and never show your hand, service mates will be the best you ever have but also the biggest piss takers.

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
To be fair to the OP, unless his/her name is Mr/Miss 123456, the persec bit is weighed-off. I've lost count of the number of aspirants who subsequently have to painstakingly revisit their former digital media footprint to sanitise it, 'just in case'.