Royal Marine to SAS Air Troop

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by 123456, Aug 27, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i understand that Royal Marines can join the SAS and also the Air Troop I'm just wandering, is it unheard of or rare for a Marine to join the Air Troop after selection?
  2. I take it you're not even in the RM yet?

One step at a time. It's nice to have aspirations, but............
  3. No I'm not? But I'd still like to know the more I know the better for me and my future
    • Old Old x 1
    • Braindead Braindead x 1
  4. What about the SBS?
    But before that, there is a small issues of attaining your green beret, then being selected as a special, not every one makes it?
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  5. another S.T.C. candidate?
  6. Ohhhhhh I'm telling on you. Naughty step for you or was it a deliberate wind up for a few of the mods? ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Be careful @slim the grown up's will shout
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The SAS and SBS will take suitable candidate from all arms of the UK Armed Forces, the initial phase of selection is now a joint operation between the two, with the choice which way to go only given after passing initial selection. (easily found on the internet).

Now given that you would first have to pass selection for the RM, then complete the 32 weeks training, which in its self if very far from a given (Ninja, have you got the figures on % who fail initial selection, and how many of those that get to Lympstone actually get a green lid) I think planning for going UKSF is getting a little ahead of yourself.
  9. May be he should look at Navy Seals, delta force & the rangers as a back up plan, but good luck you have chosen a hard path that not many achieve?
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

RM selection varies, but in my AFCO about one in eight pass selection and start recruit training. Around half pass out.
  11. Do you have the numbers for successful SAS/SBS transfers from what already is an Elite group?
  12. Fixed - my bold!!

(I was a Pathfinder with the SEALs when I was on detachment from the SRR - happy daze......)
  13. SRR senior rates restroom?
  14. A
    About 1 in 16 get the green beret? From application, then there is selection and failure rate of specials selection? Good luck
  15. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

While its tempting to admire the sheer balls of the original poster, the chances of him making it through RM acquaint, CTCRM, time in a rifle Coy then Selection then into a specific troop is about as likely as my being the next Queen of England.
  16. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

maybe he should limit his aspirations to DHP.
  17. Your Majesty you look so different, how times have changed:eek:
    • Funny Funny x 3
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

We don't have much as regular service UKSF & SBS(R) is not direct entry (apart from SF re-entrants).

The regular UKSF is made up of 37% Royal Marines, which ain't bad when one considers the Royal Marines number only 7000 (ish).
  19. So, 6.25% of applicants get their green lid, if the op manages it that far, he will be well on the way to UKSF, but by no means is it a given he will pass selection IF he gets his lid, especially given that he came onto RR to ask the question rather than do a little research on the interweb, shows a lack of initiative, something I believe is required in spades to get the flying/wavy dagger beret badge
  20. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It's either initiative or an eBay account.
    • Like Like x 1