Royal Marine Recruiting/Training/Queries In here.

SBDG

Afternoon gents. New to this forum stuff so apologies if I'm dragging up an old thread as no doubt this has been requested before, but does anyone have a CURRENT (ideally clear and detailed) locker layout photo?

All I can find is either "when I was in training..." photo circa 1960 or a DPM & wooly pully layout from a 90's recruitment campaign.

Cheers.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
As a matter of idle interest, what's the purpose of your quest?

If joining, I'd be inclined to focus on personal admin skills such as washing, ironing & folding clothes to A4, learning to "bull" boots, learning some practical map reading, etc.

If it's for other reasons, fair one.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
As a matter of idle interest, what's the purpose of your quest?

If joining, I'd be inclined to focus on personal admin skills such as washing, ironing & folding clothes to A4, learning to "bull" boots, learning some practical map reading, wearing a dress etc.

If it's for other reasons, fair one.

SBDG

Apologies, perhaps I should of explained myself a little clearer. I'm helping a school with a project regarding the modern armed forces with a focus on the Royal Marines. The majority of the imagery/information was easily accessible, however, I'm struggling to obtain current pictures in detail of the locker layout as this forms an integral part of the intended display/presentation.

I have contacted the MOD imagery team for any 'official' pictures, but I thought it would be far better to appeal to you guys direct as are probably better positioned to help or have access to same material used my the training teams at Lympstone.

Is there a Royal Marines Reserve centre close to you? Yould try them and see how it goes and make the transfer to the regular Corps post Phase 1 or Phase 2 training.

Yellow_lid

Midshipman
I'm supposing this is the right thread since my question contains joining up. So here goes, I've always been interested in the marines and have thought about joining several times but the problem is I'm a commonwealth citizen, not British. So what I'm asking is do you people think it would be worth going through the process of having to wait 5 years living in the UK then applying to join?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I'm supposing this is the right thread since my question contains joining up. So here goes, I've always been interested in the marines and have thought about joining several times but the problem is I'm a commonwealth citizen, not British. So what I'm asking is do you people think it would be worth going through the process of having to wait 5 years living in the UK then applying to join?
Difficult shout.

What if you waited 5 years then failed a selection element, or what if you hated it & quit from training after 5 years wait?

My tip? If well under age 32, crack-on with your life. Keep yourself fit & sit tight - with any luck the rules may change back, in the coming years.

hug0Lvr

Hello gents,

First of all apologies if this has already been brought up, after a brief look through the forum and I've been unable to find some information and hopefully some of you regulars will be able to help me with some queries.

I am 23 yrs old and I have recently graduated with my degree. After a lot of consideration I sent my application off for the Officer position in the RM and I will be attending the Recruitment Test (RT) in 2 weeks time.

Firstly whilst I think a role in the forces would suit me much better (camaraderie, hands on, test yourself etc) than a typical office/9-5 job I am cautious as to whether I am completely suited to the officer role. I am sure I am over-thinking slightly here as I get on well in many teams, rugby for instance, and don't lack good mates, however do the Commandos ever have difficulty with Officers or expect a certain personality different to that of a normal guy?

Secondly I believe that right now would be the best time to do some travelling before committing to the application process. I am considering taking a ski instructors course and spending a winter season working (December - late April) however I have been informed that the Medical Test is due on February 2016. Does anyone know roughly what the dates are for the Selection Interview, Pre-joining Fitness Tests and AIB usually take place on? These dates will determine whether I come back briefly during that period or sack the whole ski instructor thing entirely.

Apologies for the lengthy post - taking this seriously.

Cheers!