Royal Marine Recruiting/Training/Queries In here.

I'm supposing this is the right thread since my question contains joining up. So here goes, I've always been interested in the marines and have thought about joining several times but the problem is I'm a commonwealth citizen, not British. So what I'm asking is do you people think it would be worth going through the process of having to wait 5 years living in the UK then applying to join?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I'm supposing this is the right thread since my question contains joining up. So here goes, I've always been interested in the marines and have thought about joining several times but the problem is I'm a commonwealth citizen, not British. So what I'm asking is do you people think it would be worth going through the process of having to wait 5 years living in the UK then applying to join?
Difficult shout.

What if you waited 5 years then failed a selection element, or what if you hated it & quit from training after 5 years wait?

My tip? If well under age 32, crack-on with your life. Keep yourself fit & sit tight - with any luck the rules may change back, in the coming years.

Hello gents,

First of all apologies if this has already been brought up, after a brief look through the forum and I've been unable to find some information and hopefully some of you regulars will be able to help me with some queries.

I am 23 yrs old and I have recently graduated with my degree. After a lot of consideration I sent my application off for the Officer position in the RM and I will be attending the Recruitment Test (RT) in 2 weeks time.

Firstly whilst I think a role in the forces would suit me much better (camaraderie, hands on, test yourself etc) than a typical office/9-5 job I am cautious as to whether I am completely suited to the officer role. I am sure I am over-thinking slightly here as I get on well in many teams, rugby for instance, and don't lack good mates, however do the Commandos ever have difficulty with Officers or expect a certain personality different to that of a normal guy?

Secondly I believe that right now would be the best time to do some travelling before committing to the application process. I am considering taking a ski instructors course and spending a winter season working (December - late April) however I have been informed that the Medical Test is due on February 2016. Does anyone know roughly what the dates are for the Selection Interview, Pre-joining Fitness Tests and AIB usually take place on? These dates will determine whether I come back briefly during that period or sack the whole ski instructor thing entirely.

Apologies for the lengthy post - taking this seriously.

Cheers!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
So far as I'm aware, the September 2016 RM YO will be more competitive than any other in recent years. The Corps, as at July this year, was more than 400 trained Other Ranks & 50 Officers over the requirement.

As such, much as the number of those passing POC & AIB pretty much always exceeds the requirement.....The next intake of RM YO trainees will be reduced by about a third, next year.

You could, if so inclined, complete RM YO selection in less than 3 months, then await selection results, next July. Personally, I always prefer officers that can plan ahead. The Corps inexplicably accepts those who leave it until the last minute, awarding places to those who score high at AIB, but are poor at contingency planning and may have an axis mundi complex.

Those individuals possessing humility and time-management skills who pass selection in good time are traditionally kept waiting. The choice, therefore, is yours.

Good luck.

More here: http://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/yo-batch-2016.80367/

Cheers for all of that info N_S, very helpful. I must admit my experience is contingency planning is very limited, if anything at all, however I'm sure that is something I will be able to start considering now that you have mentioned it.

Anyway, from the information you have given me I have a clearer picture so i'll get on to my AFCO with my more minor queries.

Thanks!

Hi I am just wondering how Royal Marines recruits get over their fear of the sheep dip cause I did my work experience at lympstone and I hit a mental block on it and I want to know a way how to get over it as its getting to me as I struggle going underwater so any advice will be helpful

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hi I am just wondering how Royal Marines recruits get over their fear of the sheep dip cause I did my work experience at lympstone and I hit a mental block on it and I want to know a way how to get over it as its getting to me as I struggle going underwater so any advice will be helpful
As with most things, face your demons and practice getting used to swimming breadths of a pool underwater. The tunnel is nothing like as long as depicted on the TV adverts, as you already know. In fact, no sooner are you bundled-in, someone has got you by the scruff of your neck and is dragging you out the other end.

The fear is probably something to do with having something solid between you and the surface - rest assured every time I had to do Dunker Drills I hated it with a passion and was like a flailing octopus the instant the 'helo' hit the water. Conversely I used to be a firefighting instructor and would think nothing of walking into a blazing compartment on a daily basis whilst many people on a two/three day course would have night-terrors waking-up in a cold sweat. Preparation, trust in your own abilities and those of your oppos and you'll gain confidence, which is key.

See I think it would of helped if they forced me under cause when they forced me to do the regain ropes over the tank I felt a sence of of achievement after it like I conquered my fear of heights which made me more proud but I think the only way to get me under will be to force me under. The thing that freightend me was that there's tunnels under it as I thought it was just a block of concrete and they shuv you under but then when I got to it I was scared of drowning incase my clothing got caught on something in the tunnel.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
See I think it would of helped if they forced me under cause when they forced me to do the regain ropes over the tank I felt a sence of of achievement after it like I conquered my fear of heights which made me more proud but I think the only way to get me under will be to force me under. The thing that freightend me was that there's tunnels under it as I thought it was just a block of concrete and they shuv you under but then when I got to it I was scared of drowning incase my clothing got caught on something in the tunnel.
I'm guessing you watched this advert to inspire confidence? ;)
It's nonsense & has probably put more people off joining than any other.

hi everyone, very new to all this so if this goes to the wrong thread or whatever I do appologise, was just wondering, I have passed my PJFT and heading down to CTCRM for PRMC on the 1st November, was wondering if anyone on here is going on that PRMC, or had any advice, also I am very intrested in what people's run times are and what training they are doing because I have very little to compare my own too, so want to see if I am where I think I am in terms of fitness, if that makes sense any replies would be appreciated!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
hi everyone, very new to all this so if this goes to the wrong thread or whatever I do appologise, was just wondering, I have passed my PJFT and heading down to CTCRM for PRMC on the 1st November, was wondering if anyone on here is going on that PRMC, or had any advice, also I am very intrested in what people's run times are and what training they are doing because I have very little to compare my own too, so want to see if I am where I think I am in terms of fitness, if that makes sense any replies would be appreciated!
There are few currently serving Royals that frequent Rum Ration regularly nowadays, those trained ranks that do frequent the site tend to be from pre-PRMC (Triassic) era.