Royal Marine Recruiting/Training/Queries In here.

Evening gents, looking for a bit of advice.

I'm currently in the process of joining the army as an officer and should get a call from them next week. However, I'm not the greatest at mental arithmetic and fear this may be my down fall when it comes to crunch time.

As another option I was thinking of applying to the marines, I've posted on here before but decided the army was a better option at the time. But I'm still very much attracted to the ethos of the marines and would love the challenge. I'm a university grad in my late 20s and quite frankly, bored of office work. My question is, would I look out of place as a marine in training/service?

Why have you got two heads? Sorry but how do we know if you would look out of place?

Your trying for Army Officer, to be honest apart from being a commando and the nautical bits there's prob not a lot of difference? Not sure about arithmetic but I would suggest a basic grasp would be required for any commision (maybe not the pay corps).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha. By the comment I meant, being too old and out of place around the majority of recruits being early teens? Thoughts?

I read somewhere else that officer training and commando training is comparable in difficulty!

I know there will be S/D/T questions and other maths stuff on the psychometric testing which may result in me being binned from army officer selection. So thinking RM as an alternative.

There is a guy at work who did RM officer selection, sounds tougher than army officer selection.

I don't think degree equates a good leader. So I'm considering RM other rank. But as above, don't wanna be mocked for being the old man!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Just about every Other Rank RM Recruit Troop has a person over age thirty.

Royal Marines don't really give a monkey's about your age as long as you're within the age parameters, it's your physical & mental preparedness that matters.

Gents,

Looking for a bit of advice. Recently left the Royal Engineers after 4.5 years service. I Left due to a leg injury sustained on a course. My medical discharge papers were sent off but never actually got actioned as My 12 months termination leave were up.

I'm not fully fit again and interested in a new career path within the corps

I'm just wondering if my medical history could have an affect on me joining?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Gents,

Looking for a bit of advice. Recently left the Royal Engineers after 4.5 years service. I Left due to a leg injury sustained on a course. My medical discharge papers were sent off but never actually got actioned as My 12 months termination leave were up.

I'm not fully fit again and interested in a new career path within the corps

I'm just wondering if my medical history could have an affect on me joining?
"Not fully fit" or "Now fully fit"?

If the former, get a grip. If the latter, you can certainly apply but a recent history of lower limb injuries doesn't bode well for potential Royals. They tend to be risk averse if your chance of recurrent injury is any higher than a person without previous injury.

Good luck.

Woops haha, Spelling error there mate. Im now fully fit again and injury free. I thought that might be the case though which is understandable. I'll head down to the careers office and still give it a shot though.

Cheers.

it would be of great appreciation if you could help me with a dilemma I am having. I got knocked back from my first Royal Marines interview for 9 months and I've to go back on the 20tg of July. However I left college in January and I havnt done anything except concentrate on my training, getting my fitness up, I have been trying to get a job however ive had no luck. I'm just worried when I go back to this interview and tell them ive just been training they might see this as uncommitted and not give me a chance in the Royal Marines. Is there anything I can do to maybe help my chances of getting in? Thank you.

it would be of great appreciation if you could help me with a dilemma I am having. I got knocked back from my first Royal Marines interview for 9 months and I've to go back on the 20tg of July. However I left college in January and I havnt done anything except concentrate on my training, getting my fitness up, I have been trying to get a job however ive had no luck. I'm just worried when I go back to this interview and tell them ive just been training they might see this as uncommitted and not give me a chance in the Royal Marines. Is there anything I can do to maybe help my chances of getting in? Thank you.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
To help advise, we need a bit more background. It depends why you got knocked-back. If it was for "stickability" then quitting college isn't going to help. If it was through lack of phys, then you need to prove it with a training diary, if it was through poor Corps knowledge, then start revising, etc.

Afternoon gents. New to this forum stuff so apologies if I'm dragging up an old thread as no doubt this has been requested before, but does anyone have a CURRENT (ideally clear and detailed) locker layout photo?

All I can find is either "when I was in training..." photo circa 1960 or a DPM & wooly pully layout from a 90's recruitment campaign.

Cheers.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
As a matter of idle interest, what's the purpose of your quest?

If joining, I'd be inclined to focus on personal admin skills such as washing, ironing & folding clothes to A4, learning to "bull" boots, learning some practical map reading, etc.

If it's for other reasons, fair one.

As a matter of idle interest, what's the purpose of your quest?

If joining, I'd be inclined to focus on personal admin skills such as washing, ironing & folding clothes to A4, learning to "bull" boots, learning some practical map reading, wearing a dress etc.

If it's for other reasons, fair one.

Apologies, perhaps I should of explained myself a little clearer. I'm helping a school with a project regarding the modern armed forces with a focus on the Royal Marines. The majority of the imagery/information was easily accessible, however, I'm struggling to obtain current pictures in detail of the locker layout as this forms an integral part of the intended display/presentation.

I have contacted the MOD imagery team for any 'official' pictures, but I thought it would be far better to appeal to you guys direct as are probably better positioned to help or have access to same material used my the training teams at Lympstone.

Is there a Royal Marines Reserve centre close to you? Yould try them and see how it goes and make the transfer to the regular Corps post Phase 1 or Phase 2 training.