Royal Marine Recruiting/Training/Queries In here.

wet_blobby

War Hero
tommy_mod, you asked the same question under the heading "training" did that not answer your question? do you really think you can cut the mustard as an officer if the answer is no?

oldseadog

War Hero
NZ_Bootneck said:
hsmith said:
Hello,
I am currently an undergraduate at Warwick university and I am seriously considering a carrer in the Royal Marines. I am more interested in joining as a Royal Marine Commando, as opposed to an officer, as the lifestyle seems to be more in line with what it is that I am after in a job. I was just wondering whether many graduates apply for this position; would I be somewhat of an oddity? Ultimately, considering the fact that to be a commando no formal educational qualifications are neccasary, do you come across many commandos who have a good degree from a good university.
Any comments would be much appreciated.
Thanks, H.S.
You would be surprised what they get up to in the ossifers mess, mate they don't call em Pigs for nothing.
But if you want to go that route and then try forCorps Commish,best of luck :mrgreen: Quite a civilised post for me :shock:
NZ, my old mucker - hold up a mo!! I resent that alleged slur upon my otherwise whiter-than-whites!
OSD

ocelot

Hey there guys. I am looking at going in to the royal marines this year, and have been reading up a fair bit on fitness levels/ tips etc, however i was wondering if anyone could give me the general rundown of what is included in the initial medical exam? Ive heard stories of people failing the medical for problems they weren't even aware of, and obv i wanna make sure i get everything sorted before the medical!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

spider_monkey

Lantern Swinger
ocelot said:
Hey there guys. I am looking at going in to the royal marines this year, and have been reading up a fair bit on fitness levels/ tips etc, however i was wondering if anyone could give me the general rundown of what is included in the initial medical exam? Ive heard stories of people failing the medical for problems they weren't even aware of, and obv i wanna make sure i get everything sorted before the medical!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Acelot,

The medical is a general medical and I doubt there is much you can do to alter the outcome. They'll do all the usual checks: BP, Heart Rate, check you've got two arms and two legs, eye test, urine test, hearing, and a physical check over to ensure you can walk and wouldn't die on the PRMC. If you're a normal type bloke without any major health issues you should be OK.

Good luck

ocelot

cheers spider, thought it was worth checking up on anyway. suppose it time for me to get training!

cheers again.

Ocelot.

oldseadog

War Hero
"Two arms?" "Yup!"
"Two legs?" "Yup!"
"Feet?" "Yup, two"
"Hands?" "Yup, two"
"Brain?" "Duh ... No"
"Paras ... Next!"

"Two arms?" "Yup!"
"Two legs?" "Yup!"
"Feet?" "Yup, two"
"Hands?" "Yup, two"
"Brain?" "Half!"
"Crabs ... Next!"

"Two arms?" "Yup!"
"Two legs?" "Yup!"
"Feet?" "Yup, two"
"Hands?" "Yup, two"
"Brain?" "Yup!" "Oi! What DFNLU doin, mate?"
"Intelligence?" "Yup!"
"Right, son. 1 off 8?" "You sure?"
"Yup! ... Ouch! ... Ferferkssake! Wotchergonanwentandidthatfor?"
"To get in there first!"
"OK ... Royal ... Next!"

"Two arms?" "Yup!"
"Two legs?" "Yup!"
"Feet?" "Yup, two"
"Hands?" "Yup, two"
"Brain?" ... ... ... ...

OSD

ocelot

HaHa cheers guys, appreciate the help, also, does anyone know about the application process? basically i think that im going to need 2 or 3 monthes to get my fitness up to PRMC standard,so i dont want to apply early and nt be ready, however im not sure how long the app process takes. Any hints/tips?

much appreciated

O.

wet_blobby

War Hero
ocelot, they will be looking for potential....not someone who can walk into lympstone on day one and do the CDO course on day two. You will need to be fit and healthy for your PRMC but not superman, also show some grit and determination.

best of luck.

sniffpipes

New to the Forum, I got loads of questions for you all !!!!!

Could you tell me whether or not i am likely to be accepted into the Royal Marines as a 32 year old male.
I know i may be getting on a bit but i'm physically strong although need to work on the running and my stamina.
I have a drink driving conviction from around 12 years ago.(when i was a 21 year old tosser with no brains !!!!!)Ive heard a DD conviction may be a problem ?
Im around 5'10 weighing 11st 2 Ibs but am ready to go into some serious training to get ready for the PRMC if accepted.
Any replies would be appreciated, you may be wondering why i dont just phone the careers office up......its because its bloody bank holiday and theyre shut !!!
This is something ive been thinking of doing for some time and i want as much info as possible before i make the call and start the ball rolling.
Cheers.

Afternoon Lads,

I am a first time poster here, as the post count will show. And am considering applying for the Royal Marines in about 3 years. I am currently a University student, studying History and Politics with an aim to do a masters in Intelligence and Internationl Security when I finish my undergraduate. I am also a paddy.

I am wondering what kind of skills and qualities would be looked for in a person applying to become a Royal Marine officer? I already have 5 yrs done in the Irish Army Reserve and am currently a junior NCO.

Any advice on this would be very welcome and would have my thanks.

Yours,

Mil

Guyver

Midshipman
I'm 18 and a half, studying for a media-related degree, and itching to join up. Somehow, I think I should see out the rest of higher education, another two years before applying. I really had to work hard to get it, and I'm not just going to throw it away...
But what want I want to know is, would the top brass have reservations about recruiting a media student into the armed forces ? It's not journalism exactly,but I have this nagging thought at the back of my mind that the critically-minded recruiting officer might associate an education in that field with a distrust of/aversion to authority that would make the would-be-soldier a liability in politically-volatile ops eg. Iraq for instance. Maybe,what people tell me, my concerns are unfounded ...but suffice to say, efficient soldiering and an inquiring mind usually don't go together smoothly.What do you think ?

Please detail the kinds of questions and queries I should expect in the interview.

Also,one of the reasons I want to join - and there are many,believe me - is the prospect of travel. From what I've heard, I get the idea that it's largely the 45 who get deployed to all the exotic locations, while 42 and 40 are grounded on home soil ( in peacetime,of course).Is this true ?

Thanks,

Guyver

oldseadog

War Hero
Guyver,

If you look through earlier responses to the question, "Should I finish my education first, and then ... ?", then you will find that the general consensus has always been - "Finish Your Education First"

You probably would get a bit of stick for your media degree, just as you would if you were a plumber, or a mathmetician, or a shop assistant, or were from any of a million other backgrounds - it goes with the job! I believe that there are still Writers in the Royals (someone will no doubt correct me if I am wrong!).

Remember that only 1% make it through. It takes guts and determination to get past the first bit, and gets harder from there on in.

I joined for the sex and the travel, and was totally and utterly fcuked for the first 9 months. Joined the Prostitutes Club,did my 50 jumps, and then got shipped out to various parts of the globe, only to be shot at and shelled, shat on from a great height, fcuked by the crabs because they didn't turn up, so we had to yomp another 100 clicks to a new RV to be picked up by Andrew.

However, It is a great life, and if you don't expect too much, you will not be disappointed! It is not a life of Gung-Ho and glamour, if that's what you are looking for, you are looking at the wrong outfit!

If you want a career as a PROFESSIONAL SOLDIER there is only one to aim for, and that is to try out to see if you have what it takes to join the family of Royals. On the other hand, if you are looking for something more in line with your degree, you might like to have a look at Intel-gathering with the Sneakies - Nah, second thoughts, they don't exist as they were only figments of the mind of an over-active reporter back in '82!

You seriously think that a detailed list of questions should be given out? Do you cheat on your degree coursework by obtaining your phase test questions beforehand?

However it turns out, good luck and we wish you well.

'Aye,

OSD

Guyver

Midshipman
oldseadog said:
Guyver,

If you look through earlier responses to the question, "Should I finish my education first, and then ... ?", then you will find that the general consensus has always been - "Finish Your Education First"

You probably would get a bit of stick for your media degree, just as you would if you were a plumber, or a mathmetician, or a shop assistant, or were from any of a million other backgrounds - it goes with the job! I believe that there are still Writers in the Royals (someone will no doubt correct me if I am wrong!).

Remember that only 1% make it through. It takes guts and determination to get past the first bit, and gets harder from there on in.

I joined for the sex and the travel, and was totally and utterly fcuked for the first 9 months. Joined the Prostitutes Club,did my 50 jumps, and then got shipped out to various parts of the globe, only to be shot at and shelled, shat on from a great height, fcuked by the crabs because they didn't turn up, so we had to yomp another 100 clicks to a new RV to be picked up by Andrew.

However, It is a great life, and if you don't expect too much, you will not be disappointed! It is not a life of Gung-Ho and glamour, if that's what you are looking for, you are looking at the wrong outfit!

If you want a career as a PROFESSIONAL SOLDIER there is only one to aim for, and that is to try out to see if you have what it takes to join the family of Royals. On the other hand, if you are looking for something more in line with your degree, you might like to have a look at Intel-gathering with the Sneakies - Nah, second thoughts, they don't exist as they were only figments of the mind of an over-active reporter back in '82!

You seriously think that a detailed list of questions should be given out? Do you cheat on your degree coursework by obtaining your phase test questions beforehand?

However it turns out, good luck and we wish you well.

'Aye,

OSD
Thanks,

Don't mean to be assuming about your age or anything - even if you are an OLD sea dog - but did you serve in the Falklands ? Sounds like you're referring to it in the' bold ' ...

oldseadog

War Hero
Guyver said:
Thanks,

Don't mean to be assuming about your age or anything - even if you are an OLD sea dog - but did you serve in the Falklands ? Sounds like you're referring to it in the' bold ' ...
There are Old Royals, and there are Bold Royals, there ain't many Old, Bold Royals!

Good luck my young friend, whichever way you decide to go.

OSD

Leeroy59

Hi,

Newbie poster, heh. I have recently applied to join the RM and am just wondering about a couple of things. First off i'd like to ask about the kind of training i should be doing on the lead up to the PRMC - in the booklet i recieved it tells you about some of the stuff you'll be doing but doesn't really hint a great deal as to how far i should be aiming for in my training ... As i stand right now, i weigh 10 and half stone and am about 6'2 feet tall, in other words im a stick. :roll:

I'm leaving myself about 2 months to train prior to doing my potential royal marines course, but as to how i should spend my time training i am somewhat at a loss. My cardio fitness is fairly good and if i spend the 2 months running i dont think i'll have much problem, but my upper body is really crap, i'm currently in the TA at the moment nearing the end of my training and have been finding my cft exams really difficult, which has lead me to spending long hours in the gym putting alot of effort into bulking up my shoulders. So really what i'm trying to ask is, on the PRMC will my upper body strength be tested? And if it is, how should i be spending my 2 months?

Cheers,

Leeroy

wet_blobby

War Hero
leeroy...yes your upper body strength will be tested, you will have to do firemans carries etc, work on your upperbody strength as well as your cardio vascular bollox, falling off 30m ropes because your a biff can become painful.

Good luck.

Leeroy59

Mmm, cool. Cheers for tht bit of info. :D

But so that i can maximise my training, what sort of upper body will be required the most? i'm already working my shoulders, delts and back, but should i be focusing on other muscle groups like biceps and triceps? I doubt doing pressups and pullups everday will be enough, or will it?

Thanks for the help!

Leeroy

oldseadog

War Hero
Leeroy, although it might seem like a good idea at the time to train and train and train to improve your upper body strength, withour a high protien, high carbs diet to compliment the effort you put in, you will be wasting your time ... and potentially damaging your health while you are at it!

Keep running to build up your lower body strength and stamina, and you can use this to build your upper body strength at the same time by contracting your upper body muscles and making them work in just the same way as if you had to force your way forward through syrup.

Eat plenty of carbs (a bowl of porridge is good for breakfast,) before you set off, and have some high protien chicken, steak and eggs when you have finished.

They do say that there is no gain without pain, and to some extent that's true ... but whatever you do, don't kill yourself! That's the job of your Drill Team!

JFI I'm 6'6" and 17st, and have been for the past 30 years. When I joined the mob I was a 6'6" and 12st beanpole! You see, ther is a way forward for all of us.

Good luck, and keep us informed,

'Aye,

OSD