Royal Marine Recruiting/Training/Queries In here.

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Floppyjocky, Jan 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is my second and last attempt to create a useful thread for those people interested in joining or transferring to the Royal Marines.

If you have any queries please look through old threads to see if they have already been covered (it's likely that they have), if not then please feel free to ask away.

For serving and former members please try to answer queries helpfully and be factually correct, no-one is interested that in 1963 you had to wear green string undies and blanco your webbing daily.

Any posts that don't fit the bill will be deleted without question (when I get time). This includes the blatant bite inducing posts ie: is it true that Para training is easier than RM training.

Be sensible, everyone has to start somewhere.

2. do you know if irish citizens can join the corps.

3. i ahve just finished university.do you think i should bother trying for a comission or should i just enlist

4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

you might struggle with an irish background, also RM officers are expected to have a grasp on spelling and punctuality,( I dont, never was an ociffer) provided your allowed to enlist you can always apply for an AIB after you have done basic training.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hello,
    I am currently an undergraduate at Warwick university and I am seriously considering a carrer in the Royal Marines. I am more interested in joining as a Royal Marine Commando, as opposed to an officer, as the lifestyle seems to be more in line with what it is that I am after in a job. I was just wondering whether many graduates apply for this position; would I be somewhat of an oddity? Ultimately, considering the fact that to be a commando no formal educational qualifications are neccasary, do you come across many commandos who have a good degree from a good university.
    Any comments would be much appreciated.
    Thanks, H.S.

6. wet_blobby

you'd be suprised, many men with degree's have served as a humble grav.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Is 28 too old to join the Royal Marines?

I know the age limit is in the thirties, but do they take on many recruits at the upper end of the age limit?

8. Nope Stan, As long as you can hack the training you are welcome in HM Royal Marines. I'm 24 and in the process of applying myself. Also starting with a RMR Holding Troop and one of the guys who also wants to be a regular is 28. Age is more of an issue when it comes to officers.

9. Cheers mate. That's dispelled my fear of being laughed out of the recruiting centre.

10. Hello, Firstly I'd like to say hi to everyone on this forum.

Secondly, I have been considering joining the marines ( not as an officer)
    Bascially I'm 15, 16 On May 20th And Can Leave School on the 31st May.
    I Am About 11 and a half stone, 6 foot, And of a ( i would say) below average fitness level, I have recently applied for a gym membership and i can go to it starting tuesday. I am seeking advice, and i was wondering am i just a dreamer for thinking i can get fit in time, ive been to a careers office and they gave me a booklet which basically told me ( indirectly of course...) that you must be super fit. I love the idea of travelling, making friends for life, and also the training and experiance you can get in the marines which you just cant get anywhere else. I am completley determined to do this and to be honest, my life has really been messed up lateley, i wanna show people i can be something and do something worthwhile, i would rather die than sit at a desk 9 to 5 ( work experiance taught me that) and Will do literally all the training and prepation i possbily can, I am just seeking Proper advice which would help me just pass the PRMC and if i get that, my fitness level should be a gradual level to build on for the actually training course, So, Was wondering if someone could PM me or message here about what exactly what to do and for how long. all help is appreicated, thanks alot guys, sorry for the long post :X

Kieran

11. Hi there,
    Thanks for the feedback concerning graduates who are not officers, it comes as a reassurance. Most people think I am a bit mad for wanting to join the Royal Marines and not pursuing a commission after working my arse off for three years trying to get a good degree.
    I have a chat at the careers office booked for this week and if all goes ahead A.S.A.P anyone got any idea how long until I can be doing my PRMC? I finish university in June and hope to be in training as soon as possible (assuming I pass PRMC of course, but hey, you got to believe you can do it or their is no point applying). Thanks.
    H.S

12. Well, tbh Kieran, if you apply yourself and really train hard, its feasible to be fit enough for the PRMC in 2.5 months. Thats actually alotof training time. especially if you are only in school. The most important things to remember are: Run - lots. Get a decent pair of RUNNING SHOES not trainers and make goo duse of them. And do circuits. Go to your AFCO and get eh PRMC booklet with the circuits in it. There are even diagrams to show how each exercise should be performed. But hoenstly, give yourself about 3 to 4 months because you will need to build up your fitness at a steady rate to avoid injury.

13. i see from the website and the leaflets that the officer training is "the same" as 'ratings' what does this mean, do they all train and live together through basic 34 weeks and then officers stay on for 52?

and when do they start ? when is the next few before september '07?

also, i knwo from the army what its like for the new recruits in training at sandhurst for the officers, is it similar? private room ? and what are the breaks and holidays we get in training?

any thoughts welcome

14. Its 32 weeks not 34

15. Like above, its 32 weeks and afterwards the potential officers then go on to officer training. So yea, they train with the grunts until they have earned their green lid and then its on to officer school. As for the army... Can't help you there.

16. wet_blobby

I doubt it has changed to much since I was there but the YO and the nod both do basic traing at CTCRM, however the YO and the nod are in seperate accomodation areas and rarely speak, this is not a class divide it is because they both follow different training schedules.

What they do see is each other going through training, and I for one had a deep respect for the YO, when us nods had finished for the day we would have to do our admin, clean kit etc and hopefully clamber into our pits before 2 a.m, the young Y.O had to do the same and then do a load of paperwork etc.

We (nods) would share the drill square with the Y.O and they where not dealt with any kinder than we where, once we had learnt the basics they would have to carry on and learn sword drill etc.

we would also see them come off exersise and they would be as fcuked as us, they would then have command tasks, paperwork etc to do.

They would do there commando course roughly around the same time as us, but they would have to do it faster, then stay on at CTCRM afterwords to continue there training to be an officer.

This I believe is why the humble Grav has the utmost respect for thier officers, I personaly have only ever once met a bad one,(he got palmed off to fly helecopters for the navy, poor buggers) the rest are top blokes.

apologies for the punctuation, the computer freezes every time I try to use it, dont worry about the spelling I am shite at that too.

17. THANKS

Thats a great reply, just what I was after, if anyone else has anything to add than id be glas to hear it.

CHEERS

18. I've recently applied to join the Royal Marines as an Officer. I've been training hard for about 4 months, and ofcourse will continue to do so.

I understand the recruitment process generally takes around 6/10 months (this was unconfirmed information I gathered from a friend). I also read that there is only one Officer 'batch' per year (September).

From other peoples knowledge or experiances what are the chances of my application being completed in time for the 07 intake? Ofcourse providing I am succesful through each interview, POC and AIB.

Another question, I'm 19 and in my final year of college. Currently I have some UCAS points but not enough to meet the 140 required. I am sitting various exams in June 07 which will bring my UCAS points to around 280. With the Officer application process will I be provided a conditional offer? Or would I need to apply again after I have recieved my results in August.

Cheers