Royal Marine Butchers

Discussion in 'History' started by Trotsky, Mar 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My mate and I went around HMS Belfast and were surprised that the Butchers in the "beef screen" were booties and not matelots. Why was this trade given to marines? The only explanation I could think of was that it was a century old hangover from the days of the press gang when Matelots were pressed men and so perhaps could not be trusted with the knives etc?

your input would be appreicated

Trotsky (from ARRSE)
  2. Probs cos all the Medics were taking New Cases?
  3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The butcher also stirred up and served out the grog (under the eagle-eyed supervision of the OOD, RPO, SA(V) etc). No idea why!
  4. why didn't you ask the crew????????
  5. On Belfast the ship's RM platoon would have been employed in a variety of communal tasks when not employed in bootying. One of these would have been Butcher/Spud Tanky in the galley.
    IIRC correctly, the RM det on a 42 dropped the hatch back in the early 90s due to being told to wear white t-shirts instead of OG ones whilst doing potwash.
  6. They were fighting a losing battle against a large group of primary school kids with stroppy teachers.

7. Not a "Black Cap" story, but my buddy was the last "Seaman Butcher" in the RN. Joined in 56, and qualified butcher at Aldershot in 62. Left pusser in about 86 as a three badged AB. He never wanted promotion as he was happy with quiet numbers.

Semper Strenuissima
  8. So the "Seaman Butcher" course lasted 6 years?!