Royal Marine Bandy

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by rolling-stone, Feb 11, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Does anyone know the likelyhood of getting your parachute wings as a RM bandy? I've heard it's been done before and there's a unit that parachute into areas with their instruments.
    Any info hit me up please, I'm thinking of branch changing. I play the trombone if that helps.

2. There is no way I'm revealing the name of that unit on an open forum. I'll get schwacked with a Xylophone before I even hit send.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Ah yes, Special Band Service.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Special Trombone Carriers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Joking aside, the Royal Marines Band, besides their medical role when operationally deployed, have also carried out the force protection role whilst deployed in Afghanistan, regardless of gender.

Who else has a primary role in force protection? Erm,
  6. So do we now need to change the big 3 to the big 4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Good point.

All Royal Marines Musicians & Drummer/Buglers undergo 15 weeks, phase one military training at the Commando Training Centre, 5 weeks more than matelots undertake at Raleigh.
  8. Airborne Triangles, they've kept that quiet!

Feel sorry for the big bass drum operator dropping in with that strapped to his back, leopard skins flying in all directions!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. The Parachute Regiment has a band - and bandsmen are entitled to wear their wings after training.
  10. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

No. No they're not.

As has been done to death before, you are ONLY entitled to wear wings if you've done an arduos course and attended No1 Parachute School at RAF Brize Norton.

I'm hoping this is a wind up.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't they're even allowed to wear regimental berets anymore. Whilst regimental bands are still there I think they all come under CAMUS
  12. Blackrat

In the good old days, you could request which Regimental band you would wish to be in. Now you go to Kneller Hall, do the course, and they post you to whichever band needs you the most. While at Kneller, you wear the cap badge of CAMUS. You're partially right.
  13. Long time since I was at RM Deal, RN Judo squad training, some bandies did wear the Commando flash on their shoulders, when I asked I was told they were not the normal bandies as they volunteered to do the commando training, most bandies wanted to blow their own trumpets to the local girls that they were Marines without putting the hard work in, no Commando Flash. Cannot remember what colour beret the bandies wore.
  14. Ninja_Stoker

RM Bandies did at one time wear a green beret but CTC put a stop to it as they ain't Commando trained.

Historically RM Buglers used to be drawn from the ranks of the Royal Marines so it was entirely feasible that a Drummer Bugler had undergone RM Commando training prior to transfer.
  15. Those look very much like parachute badges too (taken from the parachute regiment band website).
  16. There's only two things that fall out the sky ... Bird Sh*t and Idiots! ... And why anyone would voluntarily jump out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft is beyond me ... they obviously want their bumps felt!
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Blackrat

Correct. Which means this chap has passed P Company.
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Question is: Is he a Para that has a musician badge or is he a Musician that is a qualified Para?
  19. the dream is real
    • Like Like x 1