Royal Family

Discussion in 'Hobbies & The Great Indoors' started by hobbit, Nov 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The history and background of the Royal Family is interesting and fascinating. For instance the story behind the Order of the Garter and the motto . Sad to witness such a colouful history fading away

"What is the origin of the mottoes ‘Dieu et mondroit’ and ‘Honisoit qui mal y pense’?
    'Dieuetmondroit' (French for ‘God and my right’) is the motto of the Sovereign. The words were the countersign (military password) chosen by King Richard I before the battle of Gisors in 1198, meaning that he was no vassal of France, but owed his royalty to God alone. The French were defeated in battle, but the password was not adopted as the royal motto of England until the time of Henry VI (1422-61) and has since been retained by his successors. The motto appears below the shield on the Royal Coat of Arms.

‘Honisoit qui mal y pense’ (French for ‘Evil be to him who evil thinks’) appears on a garter which surrounds the shield on the Royal Coat of Arms. This garter symbolises the Order of the Garter, an ancient order of knighthood of which the Queen is Sovereign. The Order of the Garter was founded by Edward III in 1348 during the Hundred Years War with France.

The motto may well have been directed at critics of the King’s claims to the French throne; however, according to a tradition first recorded by Tudor chroniclers, the motto originated at a feast celebrating the capture of Calais in 1347. The King’s mistress, the Countess of Salisbury, was mocked by courtiers for losing her garter during a dance, but Edward at once stepped forward and tied the blue ribbon around his own knee, uttering the motto as a rebuke and declaring that the Garter would soon be held in the highest esteem!"
  2. Didnt know that bit about the garter, but do now.

Thank you to the man with POTATO thoughts.
  3. Well I appreciated it, hobbit. Regrettably, tradition isn't fashionable.

fly_past has clearly heard of King Edwards and Jersey Royals.
  4. Very interesting - I always wondered what that meant on my passport!!! It's a shame the immigrants coming in wannt to destroy all that with their politically correct winging. Will we even have a royal family representing our history in 20 years?
  5. Why are they written in French though?

Is it because French was the language of the nobility, or some other reason?
  6. Because Richard I's first language was French?
    Because (as you say) Norman French was de rigeur for nobility after 1066 well up until the Renaissance.
    We had so much claim to French land anyway, why not? :D
  7. Norman-French (nothing to do with Norman.... o_O ) was still used by the Clerk of the House and the Clerk of Parliaments to write up their summaries for HM Queen at the end of each session of Parliament back in 1985, so I presume they still do.
  8. Ooh, interesting.
    Thanks guys!
  9. I could be wrong but I seem to recall that French was at one time the official language of England for Nobility and writers following 1066.
    Lots of French and English words share the same spelling too.
  10. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

It's not so much that 'we' had a claim to French land as that our monarchs also had title to vast tracts of land in France, either by inheritance or marriage. Although Henry I pointedly took an English wife, I doubt if our Kings in, say, the first three centuries after the Conquest particularly thought of themselves as English. But don't knock them; most English people are probably descended from them one way or another, if they take the trouble to look, many via Edward III whose ancestry stretches far and wide to (for instance) a fourth-century AD Armenian called Theophiolactus the Unbearable. Perched on some branches of the tree are some very strange people indeed.
  11. Is that inane comment deliberately ironic?

Sorry if it seems like I'm winging, but you can't beat a good wing now and then.
  12. The Normans weren't even French themselves - they just happened to speak French as they integrated well. Just as Normans integrated with the English and eventually themselves spoke English as the Norman in France spoke French. The word Norman comes from the root Norseman - the Normans were Viking invaders from modern day Jutland just as the Anglo-Saxons came from the same areas. By that argument you can therefore deduce that Normans and English both come from the same tribal areas and are therefore one and the same.

If you're interested in this subject lots has been written about it.
  13. Along with the Russ. (Pronounced Roos)
  14. Hey Go the Roos! (as in Kangaroos! :dwarf: )