Royal Family - Limited participation in Armed Forces Day?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Jun 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: Royal Family - Limited participation in Armed Forces Day

Much as I applaud the idea of an Armed Forces Day, could it be that the Royal Family is expressing what it thinks about this token political substitute for proper funding of the Services and the care of serving and retired personnel and their families?

2. Re: Royal Family - Limited participation in Armed Forces Day

I doubt it.

3. Re: Royal Family - Limited participation in Armed Forces Day

Naval_Gazer. We aren’t going to win any popularity contests by saying so but that is the way I see it too. Unlike you, though, I don’t applaud Armed Forces Day. Like everything related to recent Governments, the whole thing is shallow tokenism. Parliament, you can keep your heart on sleeve false sentiment; we will gladly exchange it for realistic funding.

As I said in a different Thread, the Forces earn a medal but are awarded a badge.

4. Re: Royal Family - Limited participation in Armed Forces Day

Do you really believe the Windsor’s would snub the Armed Forces and risk alienating a large percentage of the public just to make some political point, especially when the two boys are supposed to be serving members? It looks to me that they may well have put one in the back of their own net. :)

5. Re: Royal Family - Limited participation in Armed Forces Day

Not at all like you to put a positive gloss on the Royal Family, Fink... oh, I see. You haven't this time either. :(