Royal Canadian Navy - HMS Winnipeg gets trashed by a trawler

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Guns, Apr 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

That's poor form.

I thought the Navy was meant to meant to hit trawlers not the other way around.

• Like Like x 1
  3. .

Just how did the trawler manage to do that ?

Was it an insurance scam, with all the trawler's crew now claiming for whiplash injuries ?

4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

5. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

I would like to throw myself at the feet of RR. I, of course, meant HMCS Winnipeg. Of course it is the same Queen we all follow.

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Speak for yourself, Duckie..! :kiss:

7. Interestingly enough, this has been kept well out of the media spotlight since the incident occurred. Winnipeg has not moved since (I saw her there 2 weeks ago, with the still present with a hole in her bow.)

Damage is going to cost approx $255 million Canadian. - About 160 million GBP or so I am reliably informed. Although as these things go, I imagine it will turn out rather more.

8. Seadog

ship's cat wrote
    What's to report? The navy wan't at fault, nobody maimed or killed.

The official investigation has yet to report.

Once it does, HMCS WINNIPEG will be in the news again. Until then, take your tin foil hat off.

• Like Like x 1
  9. On the contrary, my belief is that there's a lot to report - will Seaspan have to pay for the damage as both ships involved were under her jurisdiction? Or will the US company, bearing in mind she was under tow at the time? Or, more importantly, will the Canadian taxpayer? Why did the Seaspan tugs not enforce/have a plan to prevent such a incident? etc

However, I fully appreciate your view on the matter and can assure you my tin foil hat will remain in my wardrobe for some considerable time. :D All the best!

10. Seadog

seacat wrote
    That looks like a lot to report but it is actually three questions that can be distilled down to one; who pays?
    That'll be for the investigation which I may have said, has yet to report.

11. Seadog