Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Router

Joe_Crow

War Hero
Just set up and used my new router, without the aid of the manual (which has gone missing somehow) and was wondering if anyone has any useful tips. :D

Thanks in advance.
 

bollotom

War Hero
Make sure no-one else can log onto it by setting a security key. You could try googling the mae for a possible online manual. 8)
 

Joe_Crow

War Hero
I've already googled for a manual without success. I don't believe security to be an issue, though there is no key.
 

cúnto

Lantern Swinger
The user name and password to get in to the system setup will be:

admin
admin

Firewall set to medium is just fine.
 

Joe_Crow

War Hero
cúnto said:
The user name and password to get in to the system setup will be:

admin
admin

Firewall set to medium is just fine.

I can't see any way to enter a password, but I am happy with the factory settings.
 

labrum

War Hero
Just be aware that without a security key anybody within range can use and abuse your internet connection which could make it slower...

What make and model is it?
 

Joe_Crow

War Hero
labrum said:
Just be aware that without a security key anybody within range can use and abuse your internet connection which could make it slower...

What make and model is it?

Not sure of the make, but the model is 'Excel'. As previously stated, I don't believe security to be a problem.
 

cúnto

Lantern Swinger
Joe_Crow said:
cúnto said:
The user name and password to get in to the system setup will be:

admin
admin

Firewall set to medium is just fine.

I can't see any way to enter a password, but I am happy with the factory settings.

Go to 192.168.1.1 on your browser, and you should see the front page of the router. Going in to change any setting from there will usually mean you need the user name and password. It is an idea to change the firewall to medium. Too little and you're vulnerable, too much firewall and you can prevent certain services working
 

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Joe_Crow said:
labrum said:
Just be aware that without a security key anybody within range can use and abuse your internet connection which could make it slower...

What make and model is it?

Not sure of the make, but the model is 'Excel'. As previously stated, I don't believe security to be a problem.

Is your router wireless or hardwired Ethernet only? If wireless, then you really need to lock it down to prevent other people's browsing activities being carried out on your Internet connection. If you have a non-wirelss router then you're probably correct in your statement that security should not be a problem.
 

labrum

War Hero
FlagWagger said:
Joe_Crow said:
labrum said:
Just be aware that without a security key anybody within range can use and abuse your internet connection which could make it slower...

What make and model is it?

Not sure of the make, but the model is 'Excel'. As previously stated, I don't believe security to be a problem.

Is your router wireless or hardwired Ethernet only? If wireless, then you really need to lock it down to prevent other people's browsing activities being carried out on your Internet connection. If you have a non-wirelss router then you're probably correct in your statement that security should not be a problem.
I concur...
 

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Joe, you of all people should be aware of TEMPEST - this is effectively what can happen if you don't secure your router, especially if you live less than 100m from either a road or other houses. WiFi? Pah!

For manuals (on anything) try 3w.diplodoc com - it's brilliant!
 

Joe_Crow

War Hero
cúnto said:
Joe_Crow said:
cúnto said:
The user name and password to get in to the system setup will be:

admin
admin

Firewall set to medium is just fine.

I can't see any way to enter a password, but I am happy with the factory settings.

Go to 192.168.1.1 on your browser, and you should see the front page of the router. Going in to change any setting from there will usually mean you need the user name and password. It is an idea to change the firewall to medium. Too little and you're vulnerable, too much firewall and you can prevent certain services working

Right, now I'm completely confused.
 

Joe_Crow

War Hero
labrum said:
FlagWagger said:
Joe_Crow said:
labrum said:
Just be aware that without a security key anybody within range can use and abuse your internet connection which could make it slower...

What make and model is it?

Not sure of the make, but the model is 'Excel'. As previously stated, I don't believe security to be a problem.

Is your router wireless or hardwired Ethernet only? If wireless, then you really need to lock it down to prevent other people's browsing activities being carried out on your Internet connection. If you have a non-wirelss router then you're probably correct in your statement that security should not be a problem.
I concur...
It isn't wireless.
 

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Alfacharlie said:
What's a router?

One of these, didn't work on my computer though, just made a mess
 
Similar threads


Top