Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rotary vs Fixed wing

rikbones

Lantern Swinger
Hi, i'm just wondering out of interest and am not thinking of leaving before joining at all, but do you have the same opportunities for work if you ever leave the mob if you have worked on either fixed wing or rotary? Many thanks.

stimps

Lantern Swinger
hi rikbones,
now this is only my thoughts on it so don't take it a gospel, buuuut. the fleet air arm has a lot more helicopters then aircraft and more variety of different types of helicopter so you would get a wider knowledge base and more experience with rotary over fixed. like i said it's only my opinion and might well be wrong.
I'm going in as an AET in september

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
My son was an AET and worked on seakings, he now works for Flybe originally in the workshops and now in the NDT section on all types of aircraft. It's not the type of aircraft you've worked on that interests civvie employers, it's the engineering skills you've got. Pretty sure you wouldn't use a garage where the mechanic says he only works on ford Fiesta's 'cos thats what he used to!!!

rikbones

Lantern Swinger
stimps said:
hi rikbones,
now this is only my thoughts on it so don't take it a gospel, buuuut. the fleet air arm has a lot more helicopters then aircraft and more variety of different types of helicopter so you would get a wider knowledge base and more experience with rotary over fixed. like i said it's only my opinion and might well be wrong.
I'm going in as an AET in september

hi stimps, with a bit of luck i may be joining you there in sept, i've only got the medical (tomorrow) and the pjft to go

It really doesn't matter what you have worked on, when you leave so long as you get your JAA licences you can pretty much walk into any aviation engineering company and name your price. just make sure you get some experience before leaving. Good luck with application.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Fixed wing or rotary The Fleet Air Arm 29
S aircraft fixed&rotary and theories of flight The Fleet Air Arm 22
BFRS Do you have fast jet or large rotary wing experience? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
J Pilot: How are you streamed into fast jet or rotary when going through training? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
The_Caretaker Rotary Head Miscellaneous 0
scouse FAA All ROTARY NOW ???? The Fleet Air Arm 32
MoD_RSS Private healthcare provider fixed prices with consultants MoD News 0
N Fixed penalty notice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
trelawney126 QE Carrier Trials negative fixed Wing The Gash Barge 2
scouse FAA faces a 4year gap in AEW and still not fixed wing The Fleet Air Arm 24
S Fixed penalty and Security Clearance Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil FAA Museum: "New Exhibition Marks The Centenary Of Fixed Wing Naval Aviation" The Fleet Air Arm 2
D Whats going to happen everyone who worked fixed wing The Fleet Air Arm 10
G Medical - Fixed retainer Health & Fitness 2
soleil BAE Bids To Be Fixed Wing Aircraft Service Provider For MFTS The Fleet Air Arm 1
H NAVY FIXED WING The Fleet Air Arm 17
soleil The Register: "Duff French Missiles For RN Finally Fixed" The Fleet 4
D Fixed wing pilot training The Fleet Air Arm 13
L Forces fixed rate of Interest? UPO 5
soleil Fly Navy 100: Fixed Wing Dinner The Fleet Air Arm 5
slim Fixed Wing dinner 31st October 2009 The Fleet Air Arm 0
Good_CO Site fixed Site Issues 6
buggerit84 Fixed wing training The Fleet Air Arm 11
scouse How do they do that? Fixed wing refuelling Helos The Fleet Air Arm 8
chockhead819 Fixed Penalty Notices: Fraudulent coercion of voluntary paym Current Affairs 0
T Was the Champions League Draw Fixed??? Current Affairs 1
S The Future of Naval Fixed-Wing Capability The Fleet Air Arm 20
P Falklands 25 Years - No RN Fixed Wing The Fleet Air Arm 52
MoD_RSS Priti Patel proscribes right-wing terrorist group MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government takes action to proscribe right-wing terrorist groups MoD News 0
T US Right Wing think tank on NATO Maritime Power Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS News story: 906 Expeditionary Air Wing stands up in the United Arab Emirates MoD News 0
soleil Navy News Naval Strike Wing find it's good to be back on Ark The Fleet Air Arm 9
Holidays4Heroes NAVAL STRIKE WING FLY NAVY 100 - Signed framed print Diamond Lil's 24
flynavy Navy Strike Wing do Rainbow The Fleet Air Arm 4
chockhead819 Naval Strike Wing The Fleet 6
KATWEEZIL NAVAL STRIKE WING The Fleet Air Arm 3
bigbaddog F-15 (One-Wing Wonder) Diamond Lil's 37
bitter_and_twisted Naval Strike Wing The Fleet Air Arm 24