Rosyth...

Managed to bag myself (not sure if good or bad yet) a draft to HMS Prince of Wales up in Rosyth... Never visited the place so have no idea what to expect and would prefer to go straight to Portsmouth! My question is though; what are the married quarters like up there as the mrs is fretting all about it! Any other info about the area or what to expect once we move there would be greatly appreciated....

Cheers.

As a married man not much help, I was drafted to Gurkha there as my first draft, they speak with a strange accent but I had a ball, possibly more than one pint of heavy was consumed?

Rosyth is shit.......The quarters are located on a small patch, so standby to live next to a HoD, Depco and so on. They have clearly seen better days, but for the cost of them it is a cheap place to live. Having Edinburgh on your doorstep is brilliant as is the ability to travel North for 90 mins during the winter to enjoy snowsports.

Caledonia is a shell of it's former self, but the gym is good.

Work is dependant on your department, but standby to get pissed off with working in Lowden Building!

Rosyth is shit.......The quarters are located on a small patch, so standby to live next to a HoD, Depco and so on. They have clearly seen better days, but for the cost of them it is a cheap place to live. Having Edinburgh on your doorstep is brilliant as is the ability to travel North for 90 mins during the winter to enjoy snowsports.

Caledonia is a shell of it's former self, but the gym is good.

Work is dependant on your department, but standby to get pissed off with working in Lowden Building!
Appreciate the feedback! By the sounds of it I'm glad I wont be there for too long fingers crossed! Got an AED draft so work could be dry for a while! Does Prince of Wales have a rough date for when she leaves Rosyth? Any research I try and do is understandably dominated by the QE! Also, no experience of AED so could be interesting o_O

Seadog

War Hero
Does Prince of Wales have a rough date for when she leaves Rosyth?
operational dates not for these forums, you will find out once you get there, or ask within service?
I appreciate the OPSEC intent Sumo but (in QNLZ ) every engine start, every km of fibre optic cable run and every box of Mars Bars embarked is a news story. Her leaving Rosyth will be a bigger news story and her entry into Pompey will be bigger still and neither date will come out of the blue. She won't be operational, she'll be on contractors' sea trials.

QNLZ floated up in August 2014, sea trials sometime in first half of 2017 (an exact date has been published)
PWLS is about 30 months behind ( I don't mean late) QNLZ so 2019 ish.

Still a bit early for WAFUs.