Ronnie Biggs on the DANAE

Bud.

Midshipman
Ahh, come on, I wouldn't have made the gronk board. I'd have been lashed up to sticky greens and got all night in. Then back onboard for a few tins of Watney's black shit, up to the galley for some babies heads or shit on a raft, shower, foofs, and back out to Union Street, two trees, Boobs....and repeat. Great days.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Ahh, come on, I wouldn't have made the gronk board. I'd have been lashed up to sticky greens and got all night in. Then back onboard for a few tins of Watney's black shit, up to the galley for some babies heads or shit on a raft, shower, foofs, and back out to Union Street, two trees, Boobs....and repeat. Great days.
Boobs??! Oh dear. Ha ha. Been asked to vacate that establishment a few times.

Sumo

War Hero
;)
Ahh, come on, I wouldn't have made the gronk board. I'd have been lashed up to sticky greens and got all night in. Then back onboard for a few tins of Watney's black shit, up to the galley for some babies heads or shit on a raft, shower, foofs, and back out to Union Street, two trees, Boobs....and repeat. Great days.mom
You were by a train robber, did you get all night in:)

mainbrace

Lantern Swinger
I believe after a year, so not murder? No idea if that's BS. @huwshpis any input?
Back in the day, for a murder charge at common law, death had to occur within a year and a day of the victim sustaining injury. The law was changed, (1996 comes to mind) when the time limit was removed. But, if the death occurs more than 3 years after injury, or if a person in the interim had been charged with a lesser offence (eg wounding), the consent of the Attourney General is required to prosecute for murder.

huwshpis

War Hero
That’s right. They changed the law because the old law meant there could be no prosecutions in cases like that of Hillsborough victim Tony Bland. The 1996 Act is a compromise between indefinite liability and novus actus interveniens. The year and a day rule didn’t only apply to murder, it covered manslaughter and suicide as well.

mainbrace

Lantern Swinger
That’s right. They changed the law because the old law meant there could be no prosecutions in cases like that of Hillsborough victim Tony Bland. The 1996 Act is a compromise between indefinite liability and novus actus interveniens. The year and a day rule didn’t only apply to murder, it covered manslaughter and suicide as well.
Huw
I never dealt with a case where a deceased was charged with suicide..........;)

huwshpis

War Hero
Huw
I never dealt with a case where a deceased was charged with suicide..........;)
About as common as a jossman feeling pity, I grant you. But, in suicide cases, the rule worked to prevent a death being ruled suicide if it occurred more than a year and a day after the deceased inflicted injury on himself.

mainbrace

Lantern Swinger
About as common as a jossman feeling pity, I grant you. But, in suicide cases, the rule worked to prevent a death being ruled suicide if it occurred more than a year and a day after the deceased inflicted injury on himself.
Huw
I seem to recall that there used to be an offence of attempting suicide but I never knew of anyone who even investigated one. The more topical one, given the popularity of the termination clinics in Switzerland / Netherlands, is aiding and abetting suicide. Once again I never dealt with one.
I like the 'joss / pity' metaphor - a gem for future use.

huwshpis

War Hero
Huw
I seem to recall that there used to be an offence of attempting suicide but I never knew of anyone who even investigated one. The more topical one, given the popularity of the termination clinics in Switzerland / Netherlands, is aiding and abetting suicide. Once again I never dealt with one.
I like the 'joss / pity' metaphor - a gem for future use.
Suicide ceased to be a crime in England and Wales on the coming into force of the Suicide Act 1961, so the offence of attempting suicide disappeared with it. One notable example of someone being prosecuted for attempted suicide was the former executioner John Ellis, a Rochdale barber, who shot himself in the jaw in 1924. (He was successful in a subsequent effort in 1932, when he used a straight razor to cut his throat.)

Aiding and abetting suicide was retained as an offence under the Suicide Act. There are very few prosecutions, often because the person liable to be charged has been acting under a pact and has been successful in their own attempt.

Edited to add, there were 91 known cases between 2009 and 2014, 65 were not prosecuted by CPS, a further 13 withdrawn by the police and the fate of 2 of the remaining cases is unknown to me at present. There was one successful prosecution in 2013.

Last edited: