Rolex, Oyster Perpetual "submariners" Military issue for sal

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by wet_blobby, Feb 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Looking for a realistic asking price, the watch is pussers stamped, serial numbered and has solid pins. As issued to bubbleheads and the like.

Any offers gents?

P.S posted this in the corps as there's no classified section on RR like on Arrse...also the Corps and the watch know each other.... :bball:

and it's not for Sal it's for sale...bloody 'puters.... :rambo:

2. To be honest WB I haven't a bl**dy clue.

3. wet_blobby

4. Re: Rolex, Oyster Perpetual "submariners" Military issue for

Going to be out of my price range Blobs..................
    Will carry on drooling :money:

5. wet_blobby

Re: Rolex, Oyster Perpetual "submariners" Military issue for

The serial number on my watch is 0552/923-7697

Unfortunately not having two watches to compare serial numbers against.. :dwarf: . is my watch the same one as in this link

Scroll down to the issue chit at the bottom of the page.

diving-watch.org/MILSU...UBMARINER-

http://diving-watch.org/MILSUB-MILITARY-ISSUE-ROLEX-SUBMARINER-

woops...

6. wet_blobby

I've just spoken to Rolex at bexley, the manager there showed me where to find the serial number, which I did and he confirmed a Rolex submariner of that serial number was issued to Chatham dockyard in 1975.......he also gave me a guideline figure of what people are paying for them........ o_O

7. Re: Rolex, Oyster Perpetual "submariners" Military issue for

That looks like an NSN. So much so that I've looked it up for you. The number was re-referenced a long time ago, and the new number (6645 757 3314) shows up as a luminous diver's watch , rated to 300m, with a value of £62.60 (sixty-two pounds and sixty of your new pence).

Hope this helps!

8. wet_blobby

Yep, my mistake, I thought that was the serial number, it wasn't. If anything I now know to find the real serial number!

I cant believe it's worth so much...fcuking happy chappy or what.

Editted to add....there's still watches like mine festering in stores if any of you out there are bored QM's with time to find correct numbers and put in demands........hint hint....... :thumright:

9. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I would love it mate, but just a tadge beyond my budget I think, is it similar to this Ebay

10. Re: Rolex, Oyster Perpetual "submariners" Military issue for

[quote="Joe_Crow. The number was re-referenced a long time ago, and the new number (6645 757 3314) shows up as a luminous diver's watch , rated to 300m, with a value of £62.60 (sixty-two pounds and sixty of your new pence).quote]

Can get 3 with change for that in Turkey :dwarf:

11. Good Prof that man.
    NZB

12. Re: Rolex, Oyster Perpetual "submariners" Military issue for

The Rolex 'submariners ' were phased out and the new item from pusser is a MWC or something like that
    I think they sell as surplus for about £80.

New in shop 'submariner' over the counter price is around £2500 but there's a collector base for the ex military ones so you may get a tad more .

:nemo: :nemo:

13. wet_blobby

The nice man at Christies has just given me a conservative estimate of £30k.................Might go see him on monday. :dance:

14. Re: Rolex, Oyster Perpetual "submariners" Military issue for

With that kind of cash you may be able to buy NZ rather than just emigrating there. :cheers:

15. Re: Rolex, Oyster Perpetual "submariners" Military issue for

Would you take £100 for it Blobbs ;)

16. Bump this thread for an Oyster question

An oppo has just bought a Rolex oyster with what looks like a navy number on it

He says its from 1968

number roughly engraved on the back is

D/JX3****0

any ideas if this is genuine issue or blagging fake and how could he identify the owner/history

He seems to think watch is worth 2.5-3K and with some provenance maybe more

Thoughts please

Cheers

17. PM Wet Blobby, he's a bloody walking Rolex ecyclopedia since his efforts to find a new owner for his Rolex mentioned in the OP.
    He might be able to put you in contact with some Rolex collectors.
    He probably won't be online again until next weekend.
    Otherwise ARRSE has a few Rolex collectors, post over there and you may get a few replies.

18. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

The number looks more like an RN official number rather than a serial number

19. Re: Rolex, Oyster Perpetual "submariners" Military issue for

The number is indeed a service and not serial number. The number indicates division and branch.
    D is obviously Devonport and J indicates the owner was a member of either the seaman or communicators branch that had signed on for long service (12 years plus option of further 10 years to qualify for pension). The "X" simply means that the owner joined after the introduction of a new pay code introduced in the 1930's.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/NavalNumbers.html

I would say it was older than 1968. My Father was D/JX 6xxxxx and he joined around 1948 I think.

Have a nice day
    IDOITDEEPER

20. Cheers for that info, great stuff

Is there a wwwinterweb machine I can input the service number into?