Role of the Royal Navy

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by r.murray, Mar 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When I was swotting up for my sift interview, I made notes on the 6 Defence Missions of the RN. As this was what I found on the Navy's website when reading up on the role of the RN.
    However, I am again swotting up, this time for my AIB, but now on the website, it doesn't have the 8 Defence Missions, but instead 'Defend, Deter and Defeat'

Obviously the principles are exactly the same, but if asked something along the lines of 'What is the RN's role?' Can I still refer to the 8DMs?

Or am I making mountains out of molehills, and as long as I get across that the Navy aims to provide security for the UK, its citizens and interests, I'll be okay?
  2. I would just go with the latter.

The smartarse answer is that not even the Navy Board can decide what we're supposed to do, so how can you?!
  3. Do you mean 6 or 8?
  4. A valid point, I hear it is disputed whether you should use 'please' and 'thank you' on the leadership tasks.

I mean 8... When I made notes last September time, they had 8 Defence Missions listed on the Navy's website. Have I got two too many??
  5. What do you reckon to:

Fight and win in combat at sea and from the sea

Prevent conflict

Provide security at sea

Promote partnerships

Provide humanitarian assistance

Protect the UK's economy
  6. Yeah thats pretty much it. These extra two mentioned were:

Provide forces to counter an attack on NATO

Provide forces to assist an ally when regional conflict inside NATO occurs

Its all the same thing really, as long as I display a knowledge of what the RN does across the globe, that's what they're looking for I guess.
  7. How about these?

Strategic Intelligence. The collection, analysis, fusion and distribution of strategic defence intelligence.

Nuclear Deterrence. The provision of an operationally independent strategic and substrategic nuclear capability, including its protection.
  8. Would this not come under the umbrella of 'Prevent Conflict'?
  9. Debatable. Those two that I added are from a white paper that was produced around the time of the previous Strategic Defence Review, are what was known as Military Tasks 1.1 and 1.2 and there are over a dozen others. If you are incredibly bored, that paper can be found here. The most recent version of those tasks was given by the then SoS two years ago, and can be found in Hansard.
  10. Always use please and thank you on a leadership task. You are leading people, who in the main respond to civility and humanity, not mindless automatons.
  11. Do you think its always necessary?

Not trying to disagree, I just mean, when speaking to my ACLO, he said, it was disputed because some of the markers would rather you said them, for the same reasons you mentioned, and others would prefer you not to, as they are orders. So the ACLO just suggested using thank you's more often than not, but only putting a few please's in there. To be fair, I'm a polite person anyway, and will probably find them both coming out anyway.
  12. Why would you not?

<enters into Socratic dialogue on leadership!>

Anyway, to my mind there must be a really good reason why you shouldn't. Being polite doesn't display weakness, indecision, poor judgement or a belief that you can't "grip" a situation; it's just politeness. Moreover, it could be said (by several Senior Officers) that the RN relies too much on positional leadership (i.e. do as I say, because I'm in charge and I've got the stripes to prove it), and impoliteness is trait associated with that. I generally consider it a bad day when I have to issue a direct order, as it means I probably haven't directed my team properly, not ensured they've been briefed and that we're not singing from the same hymn sheet: that's what mission command is about....
  13. I'm not sure to be honest, just what I'd heard. Like I said, I'm a polite person anyway, so will say them anyway.
  14. I was kind of hoping for a bit more than that! The core of this discussion is about leadership, and about how you intend to exercise it. What are your thoughts on it?
  15. Oops, sorry!

Well, from what I've seen of the RN, the officers have the respect of the men and women, and without being 'paly' they all exercise a high degree of politeness and respect back. (obviously when the need arises, they assert authority). This is one of many reasons the Navy appeals to me the most out of the three Armed Forces. In the army, it seems like there is little interaction between officers and men (not that there's no respect or politeness, just there's very little acknowledgement).

Obviously there is a huge difference between being liked by your men and women, and being respected by them. But I am aware for either to happen, politeness is key.

After hearing about the 'Don't use Pleases and Thank yous', I kind of imagined it being similar to what they say about your driving test (to simplify!) you learn to pass your test, then you learn to drive. You learn to pass the AIB (by giving direct orders) then learn to be an officer (gaining respect through politeness among other traits).

I'd ask, 'as an officer, would you say that's the case?' But you've already advised I just stick with being polite.
  16. That's my advice, it is based on my leadership style, and I'm comfortable with defending it against 4 ring Captains - not least because I'm already in the service. You need to be able to do that, which you have.

From my perspective, I'm not sure of your characterisation of both Naval and Army Officers is quite right, but again, it's your feeling. Again, talking about myself, I would suggest you need to retain a core of who you are through-out your AIB, into BRNC and then the Fleet. The RN will provide you with some tools to help you develop your own leadership style, but it is fundamentally yours. I've no doubt N_S, AngryDoc or any other Superior Officers (Leading Seaman and above) may have different views.....
  17. :-d 1234567890
  18. Well I can't say I've seen the day to day relationships of Officers and men in either force, in too great a detail. Only from acquaints, work experience and cadets. And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put Navy Officers in one bracket, and Army in another. But it seems that each force has it's own trends and styles (in terms of how Officers exercise command). Obviously not everyone in the Army will be of the same style, and same with the Navy. I'd be interested to hear what characterisation of the two forces' Officers you have.

Well I am aware it would be foolhardy to go into the AIB and try and be someone else. Firstly, because they'd spot it a mile off! Secondly, because it wouldn't last. And Thirdly, it is to see if I have the potential to be a Navy Officer, not to see if I am one. So for them to gauge this suitability, they need to see me for who I am.
  19. bloody smiley thing hasn't worked, and you're not allowed to make posts of less than 10 characters....

Anyway, we return to our regularly scheduled programme....