Road Tax Rip Off

geoffg

Lantern Swinger
I've just taxed two cars, both in the PLG £180 a year class. One for a year and one for 6 months.
Why is 6 months tax 10% more than a year pro-rata.
After all, it's a tax. If I buy 5 gallons of petrol, I dont pay a bigger rate of tax than if I buy 10 gallons.
And I dont believe that it costs £19 a year admin !
geoff(ers) :nemo:

And if your a day late either taxing it or sorning it you get a £60 fine, without going to court.
Conveniently the DVLA keeps loosing mail so your sorn renewal never gets to them.

NotmeChief said:
And if your a day late either taxing it or sorning it you get a £60 fine, without going to court.
Conveniently the DVLA keeps loosing mail so your sorn renewal never gets to them.
Their online service seems to be good though, I have used it for tax a few times now and it has worked as it says on the tin, not bad for civil serpents.

geoffg

Lantern Swinger
By the way, I didn't get reminders for either car. Is it because the DVLA have lost the details.
I would have done it on line, but too close to 31 Jan to wait 5 days. DVLA website says to download and print v10's, which I did. Only to be told at the Post Office that you dont need a form if you have a V5.
Still cant see why it's 10% more for 6 months.
Perhaps a petition is in order, not that they would take any notice.

geoffg said:
By the way, I didn't get reminders for either car. Is it because the DVLA have lost the details.
I would have done it on line, but too close to 31 Jan to wait 5 days. DVLA website says to download and print v10's, which I did. Only to be told at the Post Office that you dont need a form if you have a V5.
Still cant see why it's 10% more for 6 months.
Perhaps a petition is in order, not that they would take any notice.
Have you checked whether there is a local DVLA office, I have found them quite helpful, and you get a receipt for any docuuments you give them, handy later if needed.

For as long as I can remember, 6 Months Tax has cost more than 12 Months, pro rata. I can't remember if it was always 10%. Probably it looks worse now as a percentage because the starting point is so bloody high.

Personally, I prefer to use the local Post Office for my Tax and SORN (wonder how long that's going to be free) on the use it or loose it principle. That way I get a receipt for my SORN with no risk of "lost in the Post".

Passed-over_Loggie said:
For as long as I can remember, 6 Months Tax has cost more than 12 Months, pro rata. I can't remember if it was always 10%. Probably it looks worse now as a percentage because the starting point is so bloody high.

Personally, I prefer to use the local Post Office for my Tax and SORN (wonder how long that's going to be free) on the use it or loose it principle. That way I get a receipt for my SORN with no risk of "lost in the Post".
Now I can remeber when it was 12 or 4 months and even then there was a hefty surcharge for the shorter period.