Road Tax Rip Off

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by geoffg, Jan 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just taxed two cars, both in the PLG £180 a year class. One for a year and one for 6 months.
    Why is 6 months tax 10% more than a year pro-rata.
    After all, it's a tax. If I buy 5 gallons of petrol, I dont pay a bigger rate of tax than if I buy 10 gallons.
    And I dont believe that it costs £19 a year admin !
    geoff(ers) :nemo:

2. And if your a day late either taxing it or sorning it you get a £60 fine, without going to court.
    Conveniently the DVLA keeps loosing mail so your sorn renewal never gets to them.

3. Their online service seems to be good though, I have used it for tax a few times now and it has worked as it says on the tin, not bad for civil serpents.

4. By the way, I didn't get reminders for either car. Is it because the DVLA have lost the details.
    I would have done it on line, but too close to 31 Jan to wait 5 days. DVLA website says to download and print v10's, which I did. Only to be told at the Post Office that you dont need a form if you have a V5.
    Still cant see why it's 10% more for 6 months.
    Perhaps a petition is in order, not that they would take any notice.
    geoff(ers) :nemo:

5. Have you checked whether there is a local DVLA office, I have found them quite helpful, and you get a receipt for any docuuments you give them, handy later if needed.

6. For as long as I can remember, 6 Months Tax has cost more than 12 Months, pro rata. I can't remember if it was always 10%. Probably it looks worse now as a percentage because the starting point is so bloody high.

Personally, I prefer to use the local Post Office for my Tax and SORN (wonder how long that's going to be free) on the use it or loose it principle. That way I get a receipt for my SORN with no risk of "lost in the Post".

7. Now I can remeber when it was 12 or 4 months and even then there was a hefty surcharge for the shorter period.