Road Names In Barracks

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by SJRM_RN, Mar 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In my time in the mob I have visited a few barracks, it would be fair to say. I have noticed during visits to Army barracks, in particular, that road names tend to follow their 'heroes' i.e. Kitchener Road, Montgomery Way; and sometimes they follow battles, i.e. Mafeking Crescent etc - I think you get the idea by now and for those that have visited such barracks will know exactly what I mean. I believe the same happens on some of the larger RN barracks too.

OK, so we all know that our 'cousin' Colin is a bit wet at times etc, BUT I noticed something today that made me laugh, out loud, and get stared at (I am spending this week at RAF Halton on a gliding course - see 'Sports and AT' thread for more details) and noticed two road names:

Titmus Road

and

Bonham Carter Road

8O

I mean FFS! WTF is that all about?

2. It's the RAF, does anyone take them seriously :lol:

3. Abi and Helena :scratch:

4. I was going to say that they are naming their roads after topless models and actresses, Stix, but suddenly came over all sensible ......

The truth is that these two roads are named after two Air Commodores who were once Officer Commanding, RAF Halton; Bonham Carter in the 1920s and Titmus just after the Second World War. Now you know!

5. And the main drag at CTC known by nods everywhere as "Thank fcuk for that" street after running off the common!!! 8)

6. Stix

Re Ian Bonham Carter

"The son of a Lieutenant Colonel in the Coldstream Guards, he was educated at Haileybury and was commissioned into the Northumberland Fusiliers in 1900. He served in the South African War during 1899 to 1900 in Cape Colony and the Orange River Colony. He gained RAeC Certificate No 794 on 25 May 1914. Whilst serving with No 4 Squadron in France, he visited his old regiment in the front line and was severely wounded, losing his leg. This gave him considerable pain throughout his career and eventually led to him being placed on the retired list on account of ill-health. However, whilst AOC, No 23 Group, he had an Avro 504 specially fitted to allow him to continue flying."

7. I'm surprised HBM's old man Tim Burton doesn't make a crap film about it!!!

8. Spotter..! :roll:

Crabsville,nuff said

9. Damn no Jordan way then.

10. Sorry this is somewhat off thread but I have to mention it.....

In Sheffield (not a zillion miles from me) we have a new police station built on a new road.
    Before the road was opened the local councillors had an 'interested parties' meeting to decide upon the name of said new road.
    Up jumps an off duty copper and jokingly suggests 'Letsby Avenue...!'

And with no other names forthcoming the motion was passed!!!

Gen dit, check it!

11. As odd as that may seem. Iv'e just Googled it and much to my surprise it does exist.

12. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

There's also a Letsby Avenue on a Pongo base in Wiltshire that just happens to be the location of Provost HQ

13. Tring's nice...used to live in Berko...some good m'cycle roads around and about there...

14. My mum lives in Tring. Both are nice towns, I had a great meal at the New Mill in Berko the other day actually. I've heard that roundabout in Tring is pretty legendary for biker types.