Road Fuel Pricing

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Maxi_77, Nov 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can any suggest a reason other than the fact we are being ripped off why fuel prices are still so high despite the cost of the oil itself having fallen to relatively low levels. On top of that why is there such a heavy premium on diesel (up to 16p in some places near me but no less than 12p)

Before any suggests that we niaff Darling and his uncle Gordon yes I know they are ripping us of and have been doing so for years, but they have little to do with the prices we are paying at the pumps today compared to those just over a year ago.

2. Gas here is down to $2,15 a US gallon............Thank **** as my Range Rover and Boat sucks it down like Marc Almond at a gay party!

3. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Not wishing to gloat, but gas prices here in Canada seem to be tracking the per/barrel cost quite well; they peaked a couple of months back at $1.40 per litre and are now back down to $0.85 / litre. Perhaps someone should write to their MP .... hang on, that'll never work since its unlikely any MP will have a personal interest in fuel prices :(

4. 93p a litre hereabouts at the cheapest outlets for unleaded. Diesel still relatively high in comparison, but NuLiebour initially reduced diesel prices for their green profile, then as soon as Joe Public bought diesel vehicles in sufficient numbers, up it went to rip-off numbers in very short order. Having just been on a trip down to Valencia for the MotoGP meeting, it was obvious that our European "partners" are paying far less at the pumps than we are for both petrol and diesel. US prices? That's what we really need!

5. One slight possibility is that the £GB has dropped like brick against the $US. That has coincided with the oil prices descending to more sensible levels and partly cancelled them out. $1.98/£ is a big dfference to $1.56/£ (nearly 25%). The few Countries that trade in Euros have faced us with Euro worth 82p.

6. Darling has a lot to do with it, we actual have an average petrol price until duty and VAT are added on. And why do we pay VAT on the duty (tax on a tax)?

Look at the Petrol Price breakdown here.

They have not updated the breakdown since the price fall, but still illustrates the point (based on petrol at £115.9):

[​IMG]

7. 94.9 in my area in the Smoke - that's BP (Bleed the Public )

They (BP) have a tendency to lower the price when others do, then up it a penny or two for a few days etc, before being spotted, then lowering it again - penny pinching barstewards.

Most of the stations around North London seem to have the same/similar pricing though.

8. Talking of penny pinching, there are one or two garages around here that have dodgy pumps. You fill up and stop at £50. Then just as you replace the pump, it clicks over to £50.01. My other half has had quite a few arguments with attendants about it. Next stop - Trading Standards.

9. Now down to $2 a gallon, US obviously. Can now fill up the RR and the boat.............here fishy fishy fishy

10. Cost to retailer is as of today 12th of November 0.4530 CPL, throw on the excise tax of 0.1000 and the PFT of 0.1550 = 0.7080 difference of 0.1420 usually margins for Gasoline is less then 0.1000 cents so the price will be coming down some more, here on the East Coast where sadly it is regulated the price is 0.9110 CPL and lets not forget that other tax they throw on after the excise and PFT have been included the dreaded HST/GST of here it's 13%, so the real margin is 0.9110 less 13% = 0.0806 = 0.8304 less the excise tax of .1000 = 0.7304 less the PFT of 0.1550 = 0.5754 less todays cost of 0.4530 = 0.1224, that's most likely the real margin, then you need to weigh in the overhead costs, wages, transportation fees, power, all necessities and any other expense, so at the end of the day, the independents are barely breaking even and that is why they are fast disappearing and the large guy's are streamlining operations...

As for distillates, the price is always higher in the fall/winter (Furnace Oil, Diesel which is Furnace Oil only without the dye and Stove Oil) so the stocks are low and will dictate the pricing.

For me, the higher prices are better in the long run as it gets everyone thinking about alternatives and also weaning ourselves off of the Middle East and Russia for oil imports, short term pain for long term gain is what everyone should be thinking and screw the Saudi's and Russians oh and Canadians (we are the biggest exporter for oil to the US)...Oil Sands....hold potentially millions of barrels of the stuff, and while the price was high, it made it cheaper to extract, now that the barrel is selling low, the interest to extract at a high price won't be so attractive anymore....vicious circle eh... :hockey:

11. Why other than rip off, is Diesel dearer than Petrol
    Diesel is cheaper to produce and less refined than Petrol

A total rip off, diesel was always the cheaper product, so we were all told to change to save money and it was less of a burden on the environment
    Now both the Govenment and the Refiners rip us off

"ALL" Our goods are transported by road, by lorries fuelled by Diesel, trains fuelled by Diesel, and delivery vans fuelled by Diesel

Ah that is it, tax the majority of users to the hilt, refiners maximise obscene profits Ripped Off With the Govenments blessing

Jack McH

12. Sounds like you have successfully answered your own question Jack.

SF

13. After SSE

Good theory except the differential between diesel and unleaded was widening through the summer when according to your theory the gap should be closing.

I go foir once with Jack my fellow Kingdom subject that in reality it is all a rip off because diesel is an essential for transport thus sales will hold up much better if the price is high. Yes it is economics, but the economics of rip off not any thing that is actually justifiable.