RO9

BillyNoMates

War Hero
I have just unearthed some old photos of a relative of mine who was the Can Man on HMS ARK ROYAL.
All I really know is that his first name was Michael and I have no idea when these photos
were taken. Any old'n'bold recognise the man?
Cheers!

scan0002.jpgscan0025.jpgscan0026.jpgscan0028.jpgscan0029.jpgscan0052.jpgscan0054.jpg

Wightsparker

War Hero
Fascinating pix. I'm nothing like old and bold enough to recognise people, but from the presence of Sea Fury, Sea Venom and Sea Hawk, plus HMY Britannia and a minelayer (Manxman or Apollo?) I would reckon about 1954 but not much later.

Edited to change one of the Sea Furies to Sea Hawk.......

Last edited:

Stirlin

War Hero
Fascinating pix. I'm nothing like old and bold enough to recognise people, but from the presence of Sea Fury, Sea Venom and Sea Fury, plus HMY Britannia and a minelayer (Manxman or Apollo?) I would reckon about 1954 but not much later.
Beat me to it.
Apollo stuff......

Apollo was recommissioned in 1951 after the outbreak of the Korean War,[1] joining the 2nd Cruiser Squadron of the Home Fleet. After Hurricane Charlie struck Jamaica on 17 August 1951, Apollo made a high speed run to deliver relief supplies to the island.[4] In 1953 she took part in the Fleet Review to celebrate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II,[5] while in November 1954 she became the Flagship of the Commander-in-Chief, Home Fleet.[4] On 25 August 1960, the destroyer Battleaxe was carrying out steam trials while moored alongside Apollo at Portsmouth, when steam was let into Battleaxe's turbines, driving the ship forward and breaking Apollo's mooring lines. Apollo then collided with the frigate Wakeful, which also broke free from her moorings and struck the caisson at the entrance to a dock. Apollo's stem was damaged, while Wakefulsuffered buckled plates from the impact by Apollo and a badly damaged bow from the collision with the caisson.[6]

She was paid off and returned to the Reserve in 1961, was put on the Disposal List the next year, and sold for breaking-up by Hughes Bolckow at Blyth, Northumberland, where she arrived in November 1962.[1]

Latest Threads