RNR Uniform

Kitsunegari

Midshipman
Got my RNR uniform last week and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on how it should look? Silly question, yes, in that it should look smart, clean and flat as a pancake. But people keep spouting nonsense about opposing creases in the shirt and so on and so forth, so I'm a little concerned about doing something utterly moronic beyond reprieve when I sail in on Tuesday for the first time wearing my new and otherwise shiny gear. I'd ideally like to be free of any scrutiny from the officers throughout the evening - I've already seen the odd person suffer a (reasonably kind) rebuke, and would rather make sure I'm on the ball.

My beret's looking delightful though which is rather nice, I'm sure you'll all agree.

JonnoJonno

Banned
I imagine you will be shown how to do it, therefore don't be in a rush to put the wrong crease in to the shirt. Just iron out the fold-creases, brush polish your shoes a few times, and then you can be shown how to do it properly without leaving legacy mong-creases all over your kit.

And man-up about taking bollockings you fairy.

Zoidberg

War Hero
Crease down the sleeves, a crease down the front and back of the trousers.

Just line up the seams on the trouser legs and iron the edges. I'm a scranbag though, to be fair.

Capn_Pugwash

War Hero
Ah, make you long for the good old days.

Entire weekends at sea on a Ton Class Sweeper, wearing overalls, Coastal Forces Jersey and steaming bats.

In the unlikely event of being alongside on a Sat evening, Nos 8s at a push for gangway duties.

Off for a Sanatogen and a lie-down.

hookyh

Lantern Swinger
If you're referring to 4's (8's to us old gits!) then make sure you've washed your shirt. Not entirely sure it's the case these days, but they used to be impregnated with a fire-retardant chemical that made newbies itch like f**k and gave everyone else a good laugh, knowing what's coming after seeing the initial pride of the new guy wearing his uniform for the first time and feeling like 'the man', then looking like a proper chopper and acting as though he (or she) has prickly heat.

You have been warned! Lol!

2_deck_dash

War Hero
It doesn't matter how cack your rig is just make sure you have a big sharp bullshit crease across the back and all attention will be averted.

tommo

War Hero
2_deck_dash said:
It doesn't matter how cack your rig is just make sure you have a big sharp bullshit crease across the back and all attention will be averted.

Bullshit crease FTW

G

guestm

2_deck_dash said:

Seconded.

I even iron one into my cricket shirt to mark me out as better than everyone else.

2_deck_dash

War Hero
Montigny-La-Palisse said:
2_deck_dash said:

Seconded.

I even iron one into my cricket shirt to mark me out as better than everyone else.

All my civvy clothing has bullshit creases, I have even introduced the power of the bullshit crease to the TA with great effect.

tommo

War Hero
2_deck_dash said:
Montigny-La-Palisse said:
2_deck_dash said:

Seconded.

All my civvy clothing has bullshit creases, I have even introduced the power of the bullshit crease to the TA with great effect.

I once got asked byt the skipper of the Anglesey to iron his civi shirt as his steward was on leave (we only had one on board being small ships). I gladly did iron his shirt and ironed an impressive union flag on the back.

He was so impressed he never asked me to iron his clothes again 8)

soleil

War Hero
tommo said:
I once got asked byt the skipper of the Anglesey to iron his civi shirt as his steward was on leave (we only had one on board being small ships). I gladly did iron his shirt and ironed an impressive union flag on the back.

He was so impressed he never asked me to iron his clothes again 8)

Did he comment on your artistry, Tommo?

Latest Threads