RNR to lose the "R" in their uniform

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by TF110, Jun 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It was announced a couple of days ago that the RNR will lose all distinguishing marks like the "R" WEF 1 July. Curious as to what the attitude of the regular RN is to this now that there will be no way to tell us apart?
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, the fact that you'll be working at weekends and we're not?! :wink:
  3. I think TF meant when deployed aboard ship. It's a good question. :thumright:
  4. sgtpepperband

Sorry - it was said with tongue planted firmly in my cheek, and it was a fair question. Perhaps RNR males will all be 40-something, and RNR females will have slim arses and no moustaches?! 8O :wink:
  5. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

A few years ago, before the RNR slide came into being, I went on the Brum along with a number of other JRs - the crew knew we were RNR, they didn't need a little bit of cloth to tell them. Did we have any problems? Not really - once we'd proven that we could do the job and be relied upon. The loss of the RNR slide puts the ratings (and only ABs remember) back where they were about 10 years ago in terms of distinguishing badges.

I also undertook some training with the RN post RNR slides - the RN S/R who was i/c of the working party ensured that the first action carried out by RNR ABs under his control was to replace the RNR slides with Royal Navy slides - his logic being that they wore the same uniform, did the same job and lived alongside the RN so in his eye they were the same.

Whatever badges/distinction/slides may say, the RNR will be working alongside the RN and both groups will know who is who. They serve two purposes: 1) to give the Reservist something to hide behind, and 2) to give the Regular a difference with which to beat the Reservist. Getting rid of them is no bad thing IMHO.
  6. And be under 40?... :3some: :hump:

I do wonder however if attitudes will change. Perhaps before the uniform change the regulars would expect the RNRs to be a bit unsure of themselves onboard ship (I probably would be, the first time anyway), but now with no way to tell, they could be expected to know the job just as well as a regular who does it every day. Hmmm. o_O

... edited to add that FlagWagger just answered the above postulation (there's a big word) :)
  7. sgtpepperband

8. Nearly 20 years ago the RAN decided that the RANR 'Yacht Club' was in for a shake up. The R in the officers rings was removed, the old Port Divisions were scrapped and RANR personnel were integrated fully into the RAN. This upset some of the old school Rockies and regulars but today you will find reserves in just about any ship or establishment. In fact the reserves are no longer a separate entity. Officially the RAN consists of the Permanent Naval Forces and the RAN Reserve, both elements making up the RAN, although it must be noted that today the vast majority of reserve personnel are ex PNF and the fact that we no longer recruit many Rockies 'off the street' makes life easier all round.
  9. Well Jack 77 you just said what I was thinking - soon there will be no difference because.......there will be no difference! If you see what I mean! Only a part time Navy - 1000 people who take it in turns to go to sea in THE ship! MN style, your either at sea or on leave - not working! Save a few bob putting those without a ship on half pay as a retainer and telling them to disappear until we have one available!
  10. About time the "Royal" was dropped off your title.

"Naval Reserve" sounds much better. :thumright:

(Why did it take so long for someone to do this obvious joke? I can't be the only infantile one here. Who do I complain too??)