RNR Service in a War Zone & Honors

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by scousehillier, Oct 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst I think the regulars deserve all honours and medals they get I was just wondering a couple of things and I hope you can help.

I left the RN in 88 and I am probably going to join the RNR...what is the script on Naval recognition for service, GCB etc?

I sat be posted to a ship in the Gulf and after x amount of time when do I "qualify" as having served a duty? Don't get me wrong I am not after a medal I just want to know the regs.

No doubt there will be a rule saying RNR personnel don't matter.

Any advice on the subject is appreciated.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The rules with regard campaign medals & awards for bravery are identical for regular & reserves (as is the selection process to join).

The only difference I've come across is the RNR & RMR have a different Long Service & Good Conduct gong. Good conduct badges, I believe are every 4 years, but as you left the mob 20 years ago, you'll most likely have to undergo RNR new entry training- your nearest RNR unit will advise on that one.

Good luck
  3. Hi, thanks for the post.

I left the RN in 88 after 6 1/2 years and left with my Good Conduct Badge.
    Am I able to wear this? I have earnt the righ to wear it. I also have a badge for NATO services for the Yugoslavian War.

Although I have been out a while I appreciate I will join as a sprog but when I get my No1's etc I want to be able to wear my GCB and NATO medal.

Surely my time server does not mean nothing?
  4. Dunno about your GCB but you can wear your campaign medal until the day you die. You qualified, it was approved for wear by the Queen and no one can or will tell you not to wear it.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You can indeed wear your original GCB, likewise your medals as long as you have your Ships Certificate still, to prove you earned them.

If you lost it, you may need to write to the Data Protection Act (DPA) cell in Portsmouth for a copy of any data still held on you in the hope the records still exist.
  6. Cheers lads,

I can't remember getting a chit regarding my Good Conduct Badge (probably coz I got jailed in Gib.

What about my 4 years service badge?

I have got an award for services to Yugoslavia.
  7. What part of 'you can wear your campaign medal until the day you die' confused you so?

What is a 4 years service badge if it isn't a GCB, and what the hell has being banged up in Gib got to do with anything?
  8. I think it was a typo, and he left in 98. The only Yugo medal he'd have got in 88, was a Thompsons Holidays Dinner Gong!
  9. etthecatoutofthebag

Don't get your drift there shippers - I was on about the fact that I want to wear what I have earned and that how will my previous employment be taken into account.
  10. I think the rather clear 'drift' is trying to clarify how you were awarded a medal four years before it was available.

Have you been involved in communication with other people much in the past? It's just that I have had trouble understanding almost every statement you have made.
  11. Scouse
    As previously stated, you can wear your GCB/Nato medal(AKA the chocolate button or the Shagaluf Star) if you get accepted into the RNR.
  12. Are you pished?
  13. I bet £5 that souse was a dabber when he was in the mob. Suspect RP or Tas-ape.
  14. He's typed it wrong twice then.
  15. I was an AB (S) when i left and I think I have my GCB but I deffo have medal for Yugo.

If I was to jonn the RNR would I be able to wear my GCB or would I have to serve 4 years again?

Any help is appreciated.
  16. Are you trying to keep RR going all by yourself Scouse? You don't half ask a lot of questions. Have you thought about visiting your AFCO or HMS Eaglet and asking them?

BTW, if you have a GCB for 6.5 years service RN and the docs to support it then you can wear it on your RNR Nos 1s and you're only 18 months away from your 2nd badge.
  17. Are you pished?[/quote]

Yep....apologies, had too many beers and having read my posts I am a tad embarrassed.

I will stand in the corner and tin myself
  18. So does anybody know if scouse can wear his badge then? :evil4:
  19. What badge? Has he got a badge then? I thought you only got those after 4 years Good Conduct?
  20. I have a Volunteer Cadet Corp Long Service Medal, does anyone know if that counts?