Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Welpl, turns out that Dundee's RNR unit (Tay Division) is over an hour away from Dundee's university campus. So for Aberdeen and Dundee, my only other option is the Army Reserve (225 Medical). Would that hinder my chances of getting a navy cadetship? Would I be better joining that, or not joining at all and volunteering/working/etc?

If you get a cadetship, you automatically 'belong' to the nearest URNU usually. You can (or certainly could), claim travel expenses.

Not sure where you stand joining Army Reserves whilst earning a 'wage' on an RN Cadetship but you cannot be paid twice for two 'jobs' in the Armed Forces so far as I'm aware and you can only have one service number.

That's the problem. If I end up in Aberdeen, the nearest RNR unit and URNU are both over two hours away, while the Army Reserve and RMR are both within an hour. It's less drastic at Dundee, but still difficult; I could probably manage the RNR unit near Dundee if I can get travel covered. I'm mostly unsure if joining the army/marine reserve would be of any help if a RNR unit isn't close enough.

That's the problem. If I end up in Aberdeen, the nearest RNR unit and URNU are both over two hours away, while the Army Reserve and RMR are both within an hour. It's less drastic at Dundee, but still difficult; I could probably manage the RNR unit near Dundee if I can get travel covered. I'm mostly unsure if joining the army/marine reserve would be of any help if a RNR unit isn't close enough.
I guess that's a good question to ask at AIB when the N2 asks "Do you have any questions you would like to ask us?".

It certainly makes a change from "Yes, Sir. Who invented the ironing board?".

I guess that's a good question to ask at AIB when the N2 asks "Do you have any questions you would like to ask us?".

It certainly makes a change from "Yes, Sir. Who invented the ironing board?".

God knows my local AFCO is going to resent me with how much I'll be asking. Could be worse, though.

I'll probably just cross that bridge if I get to it.

Not sure which Dundee University campus you think is an hour away from Tay Division, it is at the same location as the RMR det in any case. It even takes less than an hour to get there from the proper medical school over in St Andrews.

If you did join you wound end up travelling down to Rosyth for some evenings and weekends. Travel up to a certain distance, even for training nights, is paid, if you're in the vicinity of Dundee then it won't be an issue. There are some Aberdeen based reservists who make it down to Dundee, though it is a massive slog.

Can't apply to St. Andrews due to financial reasons, plus they don't offer a full medical degree.

Dundee probably won't be a problem, though Aberdeen might. As you said, it is a massive slog. Traveling around 2 hours each way for a 2 hour drill night. Seems like I might just have to join Tay division and deal with that if I end up there.

Just hope I end up in Glasgow!

Sorry to drag up an old thread, I thought it better than starting another.

I am also interested in a cadetship but may end up joining a TA medical unit during medical school. Would this hurt my chances of a RN cadetship?

Also, is it possible to apply for both RN and army cadetships or does this reflect poorly on the applicant? From what I have learned the medical role is quite similar between all branches, with the exception of the GDMO time (which could also be similar if you were with the RM). @Ninja_Stoker

Last edited:
Aye, CapDunKirk, I'm facing a similar issue. Thankfully, three out of the four med schools I'm applying to have a RNR/URNU unit nearby. One of them however only has RMR/TA unit nearby (Aberdeen), so if I end up there, the RMR seems the only option, even though it would be extremely difficult.

What universities are you applying to?

Latest Threads