Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
?
Two things to watch out for;

Check your daily rate of pay as an RNR YO as my understanding is it is initially the same daily rate as new entry ratings, which, in turn, is pretty much the same as an URNU student gets paid - happy to be corrected on this if anyone knows different.

I know different - OC PRs are paid as AB2s, then when they get their letter of acceptance from the AIB and complete it they move onto an OC pay rate, which is higher and on the ballpark of what a Killick would get. I can get precise granularity if you want.

The key thing here is not to think of money and wages - you are building something bigger for the future. Who'd be a JR in the RNR just for the Cash, IMHO. Top of Scale Lt? That's a different matter LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Surg Cdr? - Kerching!!!!!!:D

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Ah yes, the invisible "initially". Forgot about that one :D

To be fair, I don't think I've ever seen a qualified Doctor or Padre fail AIB, nor a medical student (who passes AIB) fail to get a cadetship, so their RNR pay for years 3,4,5 of the degree whilst being paid a cadetship income, should be interesting. So fas as I'm aware you cannot effectively be paid twice. Certainly URNU medical students on a cadetship only got paid their cadetship & didn't earn an additional income when they rocked up for drill nights and deployments - that was inclusive of the terms of their cadetship.

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Ah yes, the invisible "initially". Forgot about that one :D

To be fair, I don't think I've ever seen a qualified Doctor or Padre fail AIB,.

That is because there are other gates that a Padre has to jump in the selection process such as the interview with the Chaplain General.

There was a Rat Catcher with me at BRNC who did not last the course, but then he would have not been out of place in a episode of Father Ted...:)

ScotsCadet

Midshipman
Welpl, turns out that Dundee's RNR unit (Tay Division) is over an hour away from Dundee's university campus. So for Aberdeen and Dundee, my only other option is the Army Reserve (225 Medical). Would that hinder my chances of getting a navy cadetship? Would I be better joining that, or not joining at all and volunteering/working/etc?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
If you get a cadetship, you automatically 'belong' to the nearest URNU usually. You can (or certainly could), claim travel expenses.

Not sure where you stand joining Army Reserves whilst earning a 'wage' on an RN Cadetship but you cannot be paid twice for two 'jobs' in the Armed Forces so far as I'm aware and you can only have one service number.

ScotsCadet

Midshipman
That's the problem. If I end up in Aberdeen, the nearest RNR unit and URNU are both over two hours away, while the Army Reserve and RMR are both within an hour. It's less drastic at Dundee, but still difficult; I could probably manage the RNR unit near Dundee if I can get travel covered. I'm mostly unsure if joining the army/marine reserve would be of any help if a RNR unit isn't close enough.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
That's the problem. If I end up in Aberdeen, the nearest RNR unit and URNU are both over two hours away, while the Army Reserve and RMR are both within an hour. It's less drastic at Dundee, but still difficult; I could probably manage the RNR unit near Dundee if I can get travel covered. I'm mostly unsure if joining the army/marine reserve would be of any help if a RNR unit isn't close enough.
I guess that's a good question to ask at AIB when the N2 asks "Do you have any questions you would like to ask us?".

It certainly makes a change from "Yes, Sir. Who invented the ironing board?".

ScotsCadet

Midshipman
I guess that's a good question to ask at AIB when the N2 asks "Do you have any questions you would like to ask us?".

It certainly makes a change from "Yes, Sir. Who invented the ironing board?".

God knows my local AFCO is going to resent me with how much I'll be asking. Could be worse, though.

I'll probably just cross that bridge if I get to it.

CmdKeen

Lantern Swinger
Not sure which Dundee University campus you think is an hour away from Tay Division, it is at the same location as the RMR det in any case. It even takes less than an hour to get there from the proper medical school over in St Andrews.

If you did join you wound end up travelling down to Rosyth for some evenings and weekends. Travel up to a certain distance, even for training nights, is paid, if you're in the vicinity of Dundee then it won't be an issue. There are some Aberdeen based reservists who make it down to Dundee, though it is a massive slog.