RNR personnel

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by scousehillier, Oct 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am wondering how the RNR are perceived in the RN nowadays, any constructive advice is appreciated.

I am thinking of joining the RNR and although the dvd looks good i want to know what it is like from the proper sailors and not the PR Team.

2. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

In all honesty its dependant upon the individual, both ways.

3. On the face of it there is no difference. Same Jack, same rig.
    You’re ex jack so will walk-the-walk, talk-the-talk. As such nobody will know any different (unless of course you tell them).

In reality of course 'we' are judged by our ability/capability by our peers, just as I do of the regulars.

On a course recently a young RNR lad I was talking to felt compelled to publicly excuse himself and his perceived lack of knowledge by wanting to announce he was a 'Reservist'. I stopped this, reminding him he was only as inferior as he made himself, hopefully raising his self esteem.

I can remember as a regular myself in the early 80's when the RNR only ever staffed sweepers. Only once ever meeting a reservist, we viewed the long-haired, tatty looking, KUA denied ill-eds with a combination of suspicion and contempt.

Now we are much more integrated into the RN and my experience indicates that barriers are coming down (now we're just viewed with suspicion!). Regulars ask me loads of Q's and invariably are slightly envious, though their bravado will deny this!

I suppose the answer is, do your best and watch your place but most of all, justify yourself.

4. R12 - Thanks for your response it is appreciated.

5. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Depends on the RNR individual. Generslly people slagging off the RNR have never come into contact with them - relying on "mate of a mate told me" stories.

You get the odd total tool who frankly needs to be kicked out, but they sre pretty rare now. The massive increase in mobilisations, plus the fact that quite a few RNR personnel have been blown up now, means that the wannabe sailors have generally left.

You get judged on the job you do, and as long as you do it well to the best of your ability, then you'll be fine.

6. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

R12,
    I think your post is very accurate, I too would say that it's down to the individual (I have posted similar in another thread), but I was curious to know what made you think that regulars are envious of you? Seems a rather strange comment to make, could you please expand on that?

7. I was a bit confused by the "envious" comment as well (and I am RNR), envious of what?

8. Envious was probably a little too strong (though I did say slightly).

I sat with some waffoo's a few weeks ago and opened their eyes to what we do.
    The perks like having one foot in civvies, the other in uniform.
    Full time family commitment and in some cases more stability within our working lives etc

Of course there were the perks on their side of the fence as well.
    There was no animosity from either side, just a better understanding.

9. I've just come off a short stint off the CHATHAM.

The lads and lasses on board were absolutly salt of the earth to a man. Really made us feel like part of the S/C which was greatly appreciated by us all. Best ship i've ever been on.

10. Are you talking about the RNR or the fleet air arm there???? :money:

11. Meoow!!

12. FAA..!!!

an' deeps (bombers), crushers etc...

No nibbles please. :bball: