RNR pay and career (1st post)

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by gogz, May 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey guys, this is my 1st post lol. I was wondering, what is the pay like in the reserves? does it 'keep you going'? is it a suitable income or do you also work somewere else? And what career options is there in the reserves? thanks:D
  2. Pay? What is this strange notion? Jokes!

We do get paid on the same payscale as the regular forces do, but because we do less work (two hours a week) we obviously get paid less. If you go on courses and exercises and ORT, etc, you'll be paid for those on the same rate as a regular sailor. So unless you get contracted for Full Time Reserve Service (FTRS) you will need a main career. The RNR is more of hobby really, a very cheap hobby because we get paid for it, but only a pittance to be fair.

With regards to career options one would normally join as a junior rate, after the completion of basic training at HMS Raleigh, there will be opportunities to go officer (if you have the potential) or you can continue as a rating working up to Leading Hand, then Petty Officer and Chief Petty Officer. If you're really good (and lucky) you might even make it to Warrant Officer.
  3. The pay is essentially a crapshoot - with the current J(no)PA(y) system, you could at any time be overpaid or underpaid to the tune of four figures, along with such delights as having income tax taken off untaxable expenses and not being paid for all the ORT you do because the system cannot handle more than 12 days of 'annual camp', whatever the hell that's meant to mean to Jack. I was chatting to someone in the business who went to have a look at EDS' supplied system last week, and in his words 'the MOD has been seen off big time - I've rarely seen such a flakey system, and coupled with the sheer scale of it and the way the contract has bound the MOD's hands I couldn't stop giggling'.

Aside from all the griping, you (should) get paid for the days you do plus bounty. Expect to put in a total of around 30-50 days a year, paid a daily rate of whatever rate/rank you hold, which coupled with the annual bounty of 300ish to 1500ish pounds, will not pay your costs. The only way to have the MOD pay you enough to live on full-time is to work for them full-time.
  4. Basically, if you attend 4 drill nights a month (i.e. your unit's weekly meeting) then you will be paid something to the tune of £32 per month (when you first join). PAYE is deducted from that however. You get travelling expenses paid back to you also.

In short; you also work somewhere else.
  5. You won't see anything until your paperwork all goes through, though. It's been known to take more than half a year.
  6. Actually it can take a full year. I had passed out of Raleigh before AFCO even sent me the correct forms to fill in to get security clearance!
  7. Ouch.... was that recently?
  8. About a year ago, actually. What was extremely annoying about it was that I had completed the original (orange) forms and handed them over to the AFCO, who sat upon their posteriors drinking tea until suddenly these forms were out of date! Returning home from HMS Raleigh I found waiting for me a set of the new-style black-and-white forms to complete.
  9. I have to wonder what the point of the SC is if you can happily toddle off to Raleigh and back without it.
  10. Sorry Peter, but I can't let that pass. It's not a hobby, and if you view it as such then perhaps you need to consider your reasons for staying.

Are we full time? No. Are we still liable to be called up, with all the potential pain and grief that goes with it? Yes. Are we still required to undertake a minimum amount of training? Yes. Does the Navy want 'hobbyists'? No.

At the very least this is a part time job, though if a part time job is all you're after then perhaps your local pub is looking for staff.

Not having a go at you personally, but I think the RNR is trying to move away from the 'hobby' attitude that existed in the past. The RN is recognising the RNR more these days and coming into contact with the RNR more often. One sure way to wind up some young AB or killick who knows his job backwards is for Mr. Hobbyist to step onboard for two weeks of cheap beer and loafing.

Can we in the RNR stop these references, even if unintentional or well meaning, to 'a hobby' and start being a bit more realistic about what we do? This 'hobby' can and will put you in harm's way. So far the RNR have got off pretty lightly in recent times, but there's some who had the TA as 'a hobby' who haven't. And that doesn't include the upset to families caused by separation even if only for three or six months.

OK, drip over.
  11. Very well put Shakey. If someone tells my missus it's a hobby, she may slot them!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Come on I don't think Peter really meant 'hobby' in the sense you took it, and I resent the suggestion that those of us who were RNR in the past viewed it in that sense either.

It certainly is not a hobby in the recreational sense, nor is it a part time job that one does just for the money either, although the extra cash is worthwhile for some. It is a bit of a vocation, a calling, a way of standing by the full time services, putting something back into the country. It provides a feeling of doing something worthwhile, it gives you the sort of comradeship that is oftem issing in ordinary life, and above all it gives you something to drip about.
  13. Its not a Hobby but it's certainly not a career either, although the grown ups seem to think it is. As was pointed out to me during the Gulf War "this will be good for your career" I pointed out that 6 months away from my proper job was not good at all for my career as thats what pays the bills.

In short don't do it for the money, if you want a career doing it, join up full time, but if not enjoy the experience, get out of it everything you can, but expect to get deployed at some point.

Its certainly not the drinking club it used to be.
  14. I really do get quite annoyed when I get told that the RNR is supposed to be a part time job. I personally do treat this as a hobby, and the more I get messed about the more I intend to treat it as a hobby. The RNR used to be built on a little give and take. Where if you put the effort into your unit and your training it would be recognised in some way and you would, in many cases, receive some kind of reward. By that I don’t mean in any way financially, that would never do. I just mean that the people at your unit would recognise that you were a person who put the effort in. A person who helped yourself instead of expecting everyone else to help you. Someone who helped others when they needed it and went out of your way to do things for your unit. In return you may be offered first dibs at a desirable short notice ORT, AT or SA opportunities. Likewise if for example you submitted paperwork which may be slightly incorrect, if possible the PSI would contact you to discuss it before administering the changes to ensure the paperwork was processed on time. If they couldn’t administer the changes themselves then they would at least contact you to tell you that the paperwork would be returned, why and what you had to do to rectify it.

I can remember days gone by when I would go out of my way to buy a couple of cases of beer and run them in to the unit for all the permanent staff at Christmas time to thank them for there efforts throughout the year. It’s now got to the stage where I’d rather insert a case of …………….. lets not even go there shall we!

To me the RNR is a hobby, a hobby which bears the possibility of being called up. When the RNR starts paying me like an employee and treating me with a modicum of respect as opposed to a mushroom which is to be kept in the dark and fed sh*t occasionally then I will once again start treating it more seriously.

One point I would also like to note is that there appears to be an attitude creeping into the RNR where it is assumed that because someone holds the rank of AB then they also hold the IQ of the aforementioned mushroom. Particularly amongst the time served RN/ex-RN type, who know only that age old adage “life in a blue suit†that we all love to hear. RNR ratings are not (in the main) fresh faced 16 year old boys/girls straight from school who know nothing about life. The majority are 20-50 year olds who have life experience and can see where mistakes are being made only to be told that their opinion is not relevant.

As you can guess I’m a little hacked off at the minute. Give me a week or so and I’ll probably be all loved up with the RNR again.

Standing by for comments the following comments “you’re the reason why the RN don’t respect the RNR, if you don’t like it leave, you shouldn’t have joined if you couldn’t take a jokeâ€, and my all time favourite “ life in a blue suit†etc etc.

If they want us to behave like the professionals they expect us to be then why have they cut training days, travel budgets etc.
  15. Very fair comments to be honest.
  16. Trehorn - I must admit that I've never seen the RNR as a hobby, but I do do it because I (generally) enjoy it (WarMonger...... :thefinger: - before you start!). Definition of Hobby - a pastime you do in your spare time because you enjoy it. OK, it's a hobby then - but it's also more than that. I think "Hobby" is a much better word than what my work colleagues describes it as - "Playing Sailors" is the phrase I think. But one thing is for certain - I definitely don't do it for the money.

But you make a lot of relevant points which I wholeheartedly agree with, and probably most others in the RNR will.

TBH, whether we see it as a hobby, part time job, vocation or a bit of fun I don't see that it really matters as long as we dig out when it's required - which I think 99% of us do.
  17. I see I've caused a bit of an upset here, but I stand by my comment that the RNR is something of a hobby. I don't feel justified to call my RNR commitments a part-time or a second job, because a job has a regular contractual committment. In the RNR if for whatever reason you don't turn up for a drill night, there's no particular upset (unless you're on the roster for QM at least). You just don't get paid. If you don't turn up for your shift at work, you generally are faced with some sort of disciplinary action.

The RNR doesn't become a job until you are on a draft, in which case it becomes your primary job until the draft ends. I imagine Shakey that you are on FTRS, which is why you might have been riled a bit by my effectively calling your job a 'hobby'.

I've learnt that in the RNR there are varying levels of dedication. I've met ratings who are extremely keen and their drill night attendance is superb. Their uniform is impeccable and if there's a place on a course they've got it. On the other side of the scale I've met ratings who aren't all that bothered, and the RNR is not at the top of the list of their priorities. But then again this is the reason they're not in the regular navy. They've got other priorities that the RN cannot or will not cater for, but the RNR will give them more flexibility so they can at least still be of some service.

So yes Shakey, this is a hobby for me. It might be a hobby that puts me in a position to be killed, but until I'm on draft its a hobby.
  18. I definately agree with that. Certain people, mostly Junior Officers, seem to think that throwing you a bone every now and then makes up for treating you like sh*t for the rest of the time. I know JO's who think that you should be grateful to be there and that you should take whatever they throw at you..
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I note from the gist of your post that your upset seems to be centred around the fact that you do not get paid on time "just because" YOU completed the paperwork incorrectly.

Frankly, despite the fact that you are fed up being treated like a fresh-faced 16 year old, possibly being a bit grown-up may give you a tadge more of the credence which you crave.

Don't for one minute assume your flouncing out of the RNR in a fit of pique will affect operational capability, you will miss it far more than the reverse.
  20. You are quite wrong my friend. Not being paid correctly or on time is just the tip of the ice berg. I do not think i'm Indispensable, i know better than that.
    I also accept that paper work has to be correct in order to be processed what i'm talking about is the way things seem to have changed from people working together and if need be helping each other for the greater good then people in general would be a whole lot happier. A two minute phone call to explain to someone why their payment cannot be authorised as opposed to just sending it back without an explanation would be more than sufficient.

If my RTC wanted something doing, quite often they would phone me because it would appear that i may be more helpful and (possibly) more comptetant than other people they could have phoned. I would go out of my way to help them either personally or for the good of the unit. In alot of cases this is not worth doing anymore because i and other like me are starting to realise that when we ourselves may need some assistance the favour is not returned.

I would miss the RNR if i left, though it would be the people more than the organisation itself.