RNR or URNU Question.

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by AM1990, Aug 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all

Basically, I applied for officer in the naval reserves in April 2012, with the intention being to gain experience to work out if the navy was for me and to gain experience appropriate to my application for a medical cadetship with the Royal Navy. I passed the psychometric test in June 2012, but since then the application process has proven to be longer than I had originally envisaged, as I am only just at the stage of going for a sift interview in August 2013 (the reason it has taken so long is due to being TMU for some time). I sent my application to medical school off in October 2012 and now have an unconditional to study medicine in September of this year. The university I am going to has an URNU, so would my best course of action be to just cancel my Reserves application and do the URNU whilst at uni to gain experience and boost my application?

The reason I ask is that the length of time required to complete the BRNC training would mean that it wouldn't really be feasible given my medical degree and, should I be successful, then I would be at the stage of receiving the medical cadetship by the time I finished the training anyway. As such, I'm not sure if it would be feasible to continue with my application for the Reserves?

At the time of applying, I wasn't I was going to get accepted for medicine, and I also hadn't considered the lengthy delays regarding medicals etc, so I thought (wrongly) that I would be well on my way by this point.

Apologies for the long winded post. Any help would be much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

2. Pm inbound

3. URNU - everyday and twice on Thursday evenings. :)

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The URNU is specifically geared to university students and matches training to term times.

If you want UCE sponsorship as a Doc in years 3,4 & 5, you'll still have to complete selection.

The RNR is not intended as a "taster" in preparation to join the regular service although a fair few do just that. If you want to join the RNR as an Officer, you'll still have to complete selection.

A caution: The URNU has much wider medical parameters - beware thinking that if you're passed fit to enter the URNU then it's a "given" for the regular service - it isn't.

5. Hi Ninja, thanks for the reply.

As it stands, I've done my psychometric test, eye test, medical and fitness test, all of which are done and dusted. However, it's due to the fact that I'm due to start university next month, that I've decided to step back and ask myself if it's really worth it to join the RNR, as I've been told that it might not be possible to work it around uni, whereas the URNU would be much more accommodating in this respect.

6. Whoever told you the RNR is not for students was a bit wide of the mark.
    courses can be taken during early summer holls, weekend and evening training doesn't impact too much either. And the pay is far better that an URNU student. I'd have a chat with your local RNR unit recruiting officer.
    Also, the URNU is meant to teach the decision makers of the future what the navy is all about, and go some way in countering Sea Blindness. Whereas the RNR is totally different and teaches you how to be an RN regular if called up.

Im biased, but RNR every time.

7. The URNU has fitter girls (and the boys are pretty hot too).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

You forgot to add the RNR wage is only better than the URNU daily rate for Officers, RNR trained ranks could be mobilised in times of emergency, the RNR has no ships, they can spend an entire career without serving on a ship whereas URNU students are guaranteed time at sea and can earn RYA qualifications

But, other than that, concur.

9. It might be worth considering the age factor. In an URNU you'll be surrounded by those in your age bracket going through the same university experiences. If you join the RNR as a Direct Entry officer you'll be considerably younger than your peers and consequently may have a very different experience, especially in units where everyone above AB is likely to be old enough to be your parent.
    That isn't to say you wouldn't pass the RNR course, but it is a factor that may present an additional challenge.

What are you hoping to get out of either as well? If you're looking for sea time before deciding to join up you'll get much more of it in the URNU. In your RNR training pipeline you'd realistically only be looking at a 2 week stint before Fleet Board. You'll almost certainly have a much better social life as well with your fellow students compared to packed YO training weekends and drill nights where no-one really sticks around afterwards (unit depending).

If you're looking for a first run through of the kind of thing BRNC teaches to non-medic officers then the RNR route is the one to take.

The other option, depending on phys and if you want to work with 3 Commando, is joining the RMR to get your green lid.

10. You can get your green lid via the RNR!

11. Ninja_Stoker

Once you finish the inordinately long RNR training, assuming the individual has a few weeks spare and the RNR unit is prepared to spend money on training days that doesn't benefit them in the slightest.

Those med students hell-bent on earning the commando qualification are better off joining the RMR in their first two years at med school, completing RMR Other Rank training (14 months, with around 20 training weekends plus two weeks live-firings and reserve forces commando course) then going for UCE in years 3,4 & 5. It's a tried and tested route although it still bewilders me why medics want a green beret when the aim is to save lives rather than create customers & as a high-value asset, they ain't going to be out on the ground employed as a combat infantryman.

12. Because until very recently, Royal Marines only wanted Green Lidded Support arms.

13. And Royal respects few non-green-lidded folk. Also, if you deploy with them (eg Commando Forward Surgical Group) the whole "living in the field" thing is a hell of a lot easier.

To the OP - URNU is the answer. Joining the RNR as a med student is daft. And I don't know of anyone who did. Couple of RMRs, no RNRs.

14. It takes most people several years to achieve trained strength and therefore be deployable. If you get more courses in than the standard 2 weeks per year then you can do it quicker but you shouldn't expect to be mobilised for the first 3 years in most (if not all) branches.

I was also under the impression that the URNU don't get bounty?

Also there's plenty to do in term time with the URNU but when schools finished everyone buggers off home and unit shuts down after the annual deployment.

Sea time very much depends on the branch you choose and your desire to do it. Yes it is limited but you're on a proper pussers grey.

URNU women on the whole are fitter than the RNR however if you're in White Rose country then you'll find that the Yorkies have a good selection of crumpet, both male and female.

Also the RNR is extremely flexible.