RNR Officer

SC247

Hi all,

I'm considering applying to become an Officer in the RNR (general entry). If I've understood the careers website correctly, I would start as a rating and begin basic training prior to attending AIB.

I don't wish to be defeatist, as i'm confident in my abilities, but what would happen if I was to fail the board?

Kind regards

Phil

jockpopeye

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
You would have the option of staying on as a rating, which is a challenge and experience not to be dismissed or you could leave. I would recommend option 1.

What unit would you potentially be joining?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Although I'm aware there are some who strongly disagree, believing they are destined to lead because they have a degree, I'm of the conviction that anyone who would not consider perhaps serving as a Rating, even if only initially, is possibly not always going to be the person best suited to lead and manage Ratings.

They may think they are, but very often they aren't.

SC247

Thank you for your responses.

I was wondering whether the AIB is a one-time only chance or if you can take the learning onboard and have a second pop at it?

Anyway, thanks for your help

jockpopeye

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
You can have a second go at AIB if the first one does not work out, but there is normally a proscribed gap between both attempts (I think this is normally at least a year).

Joining as rating pre AIB will allow you the benefit of the experience of those who have recently been to AIBs and those who, like you, might be preparing for their own.
AIB is a funny old game and I have seen some excellent people fail it. It needs to be approached with confidence but not arrogance, and for those who feel that they were born to lead there can be a very fine line between the two.
Why is AIB difficult to pass? I would say because our ratings are of a high quality and due to this expect a lot from their leaders, and in turn to lead them should be considered an honour.
So in summary approach AIB with both confidence and humility, and make sure that you want to be an officer for the correct reasons.
Your local unit will be able to give you far better advice than you can get via an anonymous unofficial forum so getting in touch with them soonest should be the next thing that you do.
Good luck.

Garrad

Hi all,

I'm considering applying to become an Officer in the RNR (general entry). If I've understood the careers website correctly, I would start as a rating and begin basic training prior to attending AIB.

I don't wish to be defeatist, as i'm confident in my abilities, but what would happen if I was to fail the board?

Kind regards

Phil
Just wondering if you pursued this and how you went on?

Kelvin

Badgeman
@Garrad there’s a few of us RNR OC’s on here, we can have a crack at answering any questions you’ve got about the process.

dux

@Garrad there’s a few of us RNR OC’s on here, we can have a crack at answering any questions you’ve got about the process.
I'm currently in the process, and have my Careers discussion in the near future (having passed the PJFT and everything beforehand). I haven't done the RNR as a rating but have instead done the Army Reserves, do you have any tips for the Careers discussion and AIB? I have had a fair bit of leadership experience but none in the Navy.