RNR Officer during Uni

HMS Sherwood or HMS Forward

• Total voters

MenInSlacks

Midshipman
Hi all,
Long time reader first time poster. Sorry it might be a long one.

My conundrum is as follows:

I'm at university in Leicester and am planning to join the RNR as an officer while there.

However there are no RNR units nearby. The closest are at Nottingham (HMS Sherwood) and Birmingham (HMS Forward).

HMS Sherwood is slightly closer but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these units and whether one had any particular merits over the other?

Also any advice on preparation and moving forwards with the officer route is appreciated. I was advised I could be taken on as a rating in training at one of the units while doing my officer training and thus gain travel expenses (as a student my wallet is bloody tight) and having nights at the unit to get acquainted.

So anyone with experience or knowledge of this route would be of great help.

Cheers,

Men in Slacks

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Leicester to Nottingham = 30 miles.

Leicester Birmingham = 44 miles

You will get 25p a mile travel Home to Duty for every drill night you attend, up to a max of 50 miles each way. If you go by road or motorbike.

So £22 per drill night to Birmingham and back.

Believe you me, in RNR terms both those units are right on your doorstep and you are spoiled for choice.

You will get these expenses whether you are a rating or officer. If you have the A levels (180 UCAS points or 3 Ds) you can apply for Officer, if you have 5 GCSEs including Maths and English at Grade C or above. Else join as a rating and become what is known as a CW candidate.

There is an AFCO in Leicester, why not pop in an have a chat?

Hope that helps...

MenInSlacks

Midshipman
Thank you for the quick replies :D
You will get these expenses whether you are a rating or officer.
That is very handy but I'd been told conflicting information, such as the Leicester AFCO said I would only gain expenses as an officer once I had got past certain stages whereas as a rating I would get them from the first night? This isn't about the money involved it's just so I can actually afford to get there :')

You will get these expenses whether you are a rating or officer. If you have the A levels (180 UCAS points or 3 Ds) you can apply for Officer, if you have 5 GCSEs including Maths and English at Grade C or above.
Yep got those, they took details of them when I went to the AFCO and said I am eligible.

Thank you for all the help and joint Force Harrier that is always a good reason ;D

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Either your or the AFCO are confused, or both. There are financial incentives for Officer training payable at Phases 1a, 1b and 2. This has nothing to do with HTD expenses. Discuss this in the unit or Google 'RNR Live' for the unit you wish to attend.

:)

MenInSlacks

Midshipman
Cheers trainer, went to the Reserves presentation over at Forward and they explained it all, no idea why the AFCO said that because I did ask them a few times and they said it each time -_-

Really liked all I heard and am looking forward to hopefully joining :D